[How-To] Is this tool positioned correctly?

The very first set of inserted carbide tools I ever bought were the same as your. I used them on a Sherline lathe and they sort of sucked but I got them to work by altering the lead angle. Needless to say, HSS outperformed them by a wide margin on that little lathe and I would encourage you to try HSS. I think there is a lot more your SB9 can do with the right tools.

And probably a lot more if I know/knew WTH I am doing!!

It will come in time, trust me.

Wait till the training wheels come off.... :encourage:

Thanks Guys!
The inserts that were in the holder in the set I suspect are bottom line quality
The one I pictured is one of the pkg of inserts that came with the set I purchased from MSC (on sale supposedly last spring) that included the QCTP, tool and insert holders (w/inserts) and seem to be much better quality from what I can tell after ruining the original one that was in the holder (as recieved) that I have been using!

Last edited:
I agree with the comments, I tend to angle the tool post 5-7 degrees like Mikey said, because I don’t like the side rubbing in most situations. There are times, where being square is beneficial, other times its not. For me it depends on what I’m doing, the tool being used and the material being cut, again for me its works best for you. I change the tool post angle constantly, to better suit what I’m doing.

I have a couple of sets of that style tool (insert), its not a great tool, but its also not a terrible one, they can be extremely finicky, cut quality is very decent on speeds and feeds, you would be better off using a CCMT series tool, if carbide is what you want to use.

Please enlighten me on this CCMT tool as I have no clue.

CCMT is a series of carbide inserts and tooling, that seems to work very well with small lathes, small motor horsepowers and units of less rigidity. The tool also works with other CCXT inserts. They work well the tools relatively inexpensive, are available from many sources, the inserts are inexpensive. I post a link from the Little Machine Shop (I’ve had good luck with them, but used it only as a good quality image) that shows a 3/8” shanked right hand tool. The inserts rhombus shape. give two cutting edges, with the tool shown, other tools are available that use the other 2 cutting edges. they are available in 2 sizes, the 21.5x series and the 32.5x series, roughly 1/4” and 3/8”.

The SCLCX line of tools (as mentioned by Buffalo 21) is probably the most commonly used carbide turning tool in the hobby world, mostly because they're ubiquitous, low cost and they work better than the old style geometries. This is the tool that has a 5 degree relief angle when the shank is perpendicular to the work. It can turn and face without having to move or angle the tool, although even this tool will work better if you fine tune the lead angle to bring the desired edge into contact.

Lots of cheap tool holders and inserts on ebay. Here is a set that I think is a decent price for what you get - a RH and LH turning tool and a boring bar with inserts and case. If you ask the forum about these tools you will have all the info you need about them.

You might also want to dial your cross slide in some so it is more centered in its travel. Should give you a little more rigidity I think.

Back