1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We want to wish everyone a healthy, happy New Year, full of joy and success. God bless you, and thank you for supporting The Hobby-Machinist.

Dismiss Notice

[Newbie] J-head And Hardinge Restoration (1957-ish)

Discussion in 'MACHINE RESTORATION & WAY SCRAPING' started by mmcgirr, Nov 7, 2016.

1. mmcgirr

mmcgirr United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Lisbon
    State:
    Connecticut
    Howdy all,

I just posted this over in the Bridgeport section
    http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...ad-and-1957-ish-hardinge-hlv-new-to-me.51795/,
    but figured I'd slap it here as well. I acquired a couple of (free!) machines which came from a small maintenance shop and were originally purchased by the shop way back.

In any event, they're both going to be on-going restoration projects, and any / all advice you can offer is much appreciated.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out - via reading everything I can lay my hands on - what the best way to clean these up (from a chemicals perspective) is?

What have you all done?

Also, if you could have a look at the ways of the Bport and let me know how much true work / cost I'm probably in for on them, that'd be super!

Thanks!