Japanese Toolbox From Reclaimed Materials

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I made a copy of a Japanese toolbox, from scrap pine and oak
the outside dimensions are 8"x9"x4"
i used glue and very small dowels to hold it all together.
where the lock is attached to the lid, 6 - 5/8" brad nails and glue secure this structure
the box was sanded to 180 grit and the pine was finished with Minwax Provincial stain.
the oak lock, key, and batten was sanded to 180 grit, finished with boiled linseed oil.

attached are pictures of the finished product!

an error in glue up produced a small (unwanted) gap between the batten and the stop of the lid :confusion:
i'll live with the imperfection.

IMG_5387.jpg

IMG_5388.jpg

IMG_5389.jpgIMG_5390.jpgIMG_5391.jpg

shot in a different light!

IMG_5392.jpg

i'm looking forward to making more of these boxes!

as always thanks for looking!

Nicely done, Mike!

I’ve never seen a box design quite like that before, but I’ve always liked the Japanese use of the simple wedge for securing stuff. One of the first tools I made when I was still in high school was a kebiki, or Japanese marking gauge. No hardware in the entire thing, just a wedge to hold the cutter and another to lock the body to the post. It’s still my go-to marking gauge to this day — dead solid and nothing to go wrong!

-frank

1687487037006.jpeg

Nicely done, Mike!

I’ve never seen a box design quite like that before, but I’ve always liked the Japanese use of the simple wedge for securing stuff. One of the first tools I made when I was still in high school was a kebiki, or Japanese marking gauge. No hardware in the entire thing, just a wedge to hold the cutter and another to lock the body to the post. It’s still my go-to marking gauge to this day — dead solid and nothing to go wrong!

-frank
Thank you Frank!

I love the marking gauge, I will have to shamelessly copy it!!!

Back