JET 1240PD

WiscoF100

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Here’s my JET 12040PD that I picked up about a month ago. There’s not many examples of this particular machine that I’ve found on the internet specifically. I know there’s similar machines as this was produced by Dashin Prince. I’m an off-road fabricator not a machinist so bear with my newb-ness.

I’ll share my progress and ask my questions here. I like pictures. Hope y’all do too.
IMG_8029.jpegIMG_8034.jpegIMG_8033.jpegIMG_8035.jpegIMG_8036.jpegIMG_8037.jpeg
It’s a fun story of how I traveled to purchase this sight unseen while I had a fortunate break in winter weather across Nd and Mn and how I tried to enter Canada to visit family with it before returning home. Canada was not happy with me and refused entry. Whatever, they’re just mad they don’t use Pennie’s anymore. What you see above is what it came with.

Some more details about it:
1982 manufacture date 3767 serial number
3HP factory upgrade option
Gap bed
Coolant pump
Imperial & metric dial readouts
Awesome pool ball handles
Foot brake (maybe that’s obvious but it was unknown to me before I laid eyes on it so I was excited)

I’ve been stocking up on carbide inserts and a few more tool holders. It has a BOSTAR BXA qctp. Been gathering other related odds and ends for setup and measuring related to a lathe. 123 blocks, V blocks, test bar and some nicer dial indicators. I still need a level. Haggling with an eBay listing for a VIS level currently.

Machine isn’t leveled or energized yet. But soon. It has many uses to come but aren’t time sensitive

Curious what the cutters pictured below would be useful for
IMG_8031.jpegIMG_8032.jpeg

Also here are nameplates etc for documentation sake
IMG_7995.jpegIMG_7996.jpegIMG_7998.jpegIMG_8002.jpegIMG_8003.jpegIMG_8004.jpegIMG_8065.jpeg

I’m looking for illustrations of or a source for a quill lock
IMG_8069.jpegIMG_8067.jpeg

This reference tag on the compound is quite hammered. Literally. Doesn’t make sense but is it essential or could I establish (for now) my own arbitrary point of reference?
IMG_8068.jpeg

Machine needs a lot of cleaning. There’s a lot of brass gunked up anywhere imaginable. Some things are butter smooth others seem to have questionable resistance. If I had the time, it would be torn down for a thorough cleaning and repaint. Not sure how far I should get into it for now or what risk I assume by using it at all until it’s done properly. Part of me says it ran when parked but my ocd side says don’t run it further into the ground.

Nice lathe, I’d clean it up and change the oil and use it.

One question I have though is how is the VFD wired? Looks like a lot of controls and if the VFD isn’t directly wired to the motor with appropriate modifications to the controls you may run into trouble.

John

The index mark on the tailstock is relative; not absolute. It’s just a reference point so if you’re off center scribing a new one it won’t matter. It might bug you from now on but it will work just fine.

@matthewsx it’s wired…..it runs……but how and is it correct? Idk. Vfd and 3phase is all Greek to me. My intuition says the vfd isn’t adequate. Previous owner said it’s very borderline, doesn’t like low speeds when the gear oil is cold and there’s a conflict with the foot brake he mentioned with how it’s wired or currently programmed. I have the owners manual. It’s all Greek too. Haha. I’d just as soon let the machine sit idle until it’s right then wreck it because I was impatient or ignorant. My brother in law is a machinist wizard and programmer of sorts by trade, hoping to get him to travel in the near future to go over it with me. He is among the relatives I was trying to visit in Canada and have evaluate the machine but I had to drop my trailer stateside.

@David2011 good to know, that’s what I figured. Thanks for confirming.

I’ve got a couple open tabs reading up on modern equivalents of the specified oils but haven’t got so far as to make a decision. The lube levels are adequate for now but for peace of mind I’d like to start anew.

I’ll be asking all sorts of questions but do try my best to search out the answers on my own.

Whats a good practice for restoring the surface finish on the ways and carriage assembly?

The ways are fairly clean. Can see the original surface finish throughout. The rust seems superficial.
IMG_8295.jpegIMG_8296.jpegIMG_8297.jpegIMG_8298.jpegIMG_8300.jpeg

What is this component?IMG_8299.jpeg

Back