JET 1240PD

@David2011 wow thank you for explaining that to me. That’s enough for me to understand what’s going on and how to get started.

First time I flipped through the owner manual I was just lost and couldn’t make sense of any of it. Breaking it down and drawing attention to specific content really helps organize my squirrels.

Matthewsx was a huge help to me in understanding my horrible manual. Glad I could return the favor.

Your lathe is a very stout 12 inch and I believe it was made by "Dashin Prince" The tailstock part you are looking for could be sourced from a Grizzly DF 1224 or 1236. It looks like the Tailstock from one of those lathes which were made for Grizzly by Dai Fong. Dashin Prince lathes are not as common as some of the other Taiwan lathes but they do pop up from time to time and they look to be of much higher quality than most other Taiwan lathes of the same era.

Most 12 inch lathes from that era have a 1 horsepower or a 1 1/2 horsepower motor, Yours is 3 horsepower, Even a lot of 1440 lathes only have a 2 hp motor. The Steady rest, Follow rest are very beefy compared to what you get today and most lathes from that era don't have a foot brake either. Those Dashin Prince Lathes are very well made lathes.

There are quite a few Grizzly DF lathes around and I am almost positive the tailstock lock you need will be the same.

Here is a pic of a Dashin Prince 12 inch Lathe. It is almost identical to yours other than color and name badge.

1714576661081.png

Last edited:
@Harry Knutz, correct, it’s a Dashin. The Grizzly models help. I’ll try some research using that lead. I found a YouTube channel (Hersch tool) who has an MSC version of my lathe. I should ask him more about his as well.

I’ve received a lot of positive feedback so far on my purchase. I really need to move it and verify the circuitry and run through it because I’ve got tasks stacking up. A race car and a restomod truck screaming for parts and fasteners

Cool picture, I haven’t seen a Dashin example. I dig the gray. Really makes me want to repaint now!

@Harry Knutz, correct, it’s a Dashin. The Grizzly models help. I’ll try some research using that lead. I found a YouTube channel (Hersch tool) who has an MSC version of my lathe. I should ask him more about his as well.

I’ve received a lot of positive feedback so far on my purchase. I really need to move it and verify the circuitry and run through it because I’ve got tasks stacking up. A race car and a restomod truck screaming for parts and fasteners

Cool picture, I haven’t seen a Dashin example. I dig the gray. Really makes me want to repaint now!
I believe that is actually a repaint by Sterling. I have seen some Tan colored ones from the factory.

There was a guy selling one near here about 6 mos ago that looked like it was brand new but it was from the 70's or 80's It sold quick.

Appears to be a cam shaft arrangement for the quill lock. Should be able to manufacture myself once I have a lathe…..that’s running. Hahaha
IMG_8379.png

Back