John Deere 310 SG pin

Nutfarmer

Registered
Registered
The pin is seized in the rod end. Tried heat and porta power to no avail. It is a hardened pin so drilling would have to be carbide. No room for a mag. base drill. Oxygen lance would work , but I hesitate to spend twelve hundred on something for a one time use. Have plasma torch , acetylene torch and a 250 amp portable welder. Any ideas? Have been soaking with penetrating oil for several months.

Attachments

• IMG_0484.jpeg
    IMG_0484.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 24
Heat rod end very hot and press out with an improvised pusher/puller
The rod end may suffer during the procedure
You could weld a temporary plate nearby to enable use of a mag drill if you can't press it out

I have used cut-off wheels to cut off the pin on both sides of the rod end, Use a torch to remove the remaining slugs in the ears. Deburr the remaining pin in the rod end and push the pin out with a press. Would need shims to make up the reduced rod end thickness. We have also cut the ears off, pressed out the pin, then weld the ears back on, using the pin for alignment. I worked at a crane and forklift place in CO for 10 years.

Heat rod end very hot and press out with an improvised pusher/puller
The rod end may suffer during the procedure
You could weld a temporary plate nearby to enable use of a mag drill if you can't press it out
Good idea, except in practice the rod end grows when heated and gets stuck worse. And when trying to push out the pin, the outboard ear tends to move outward, causing the pin to wedge more.

The pin could possibly have a step worn into it.
If you have a second person there, you could have them operate the bucket and see if there is any clearance between the pin and the rod end.
If there is clearance, then the pin is stuck in the bucket.
If that is the case, @OTmachine has your answer!

Nutfarmer,
I work for a Deere dealer in Canada and have had the same struggle. I have two thoughts. In my opinion, you haven’t applied enough heat as the paint on the bosses is hardly burnt. Second, I have come to the conclusion that if ultimately you end up using a lance to remove the pin, you might as well start with that option. I have seen people struggle for hours on a pin and then use a lance and the job is done in 30minutes. I’m sure a weld shop/hd equip dealer in your area would come blast that out for half of what a setup would cost you.
Best of luck

I like Rablers idea, in conjunction with a lot more heat on both pin bosses and a big a** impact on the nut. Don't be afraid to really crank up the amps when welding the nut to the pin. Mike

I wonder if I could pack a 1/8 inch pipe with some left over magnesium rod and make a home made oxygen lance?

Back