Just Bought A Craftsman 12" Lathe - Looking For Some Information

If you got standards with the mics then measure the standard with the mic and you turn the barrel to set ''0'' with the little spanner wench that you should have also gotten with the mics. If you don't have either the standards or wrenches, I don't know how to do it. You have to compare against a known dimension.

To calibrate the level, set it on a reasonably level, flat surface. Note the position of the bubble, then rotate the level 180 degrees. If the bubble is in the same relative position in both orientations the you are good to go. Without a known near perfect level calibration surface we have to get a bit creative. It is possible to adjust the level while adjusting the level of the machine. Work back and forth between the level and the machine. Rotate, adjust, adjust the machine, rotate, adjust, rinse, repeat. I adjusted my level while leveling my mill. It took a while, but in the end both were right.

Vulcan,

When new, most better quality micrometers came with a standard, usually of a length equal to the upper limit of the micrometer (a 0-1" would have come with a 1.0000" standard). And they also came with a small spanner to fit the anvil (the fixed end of the mic). So your first chore would be to find some standards.

With the level, there are no standards. Put the level on something sturdy and stable, like (hopefully) your lathe bed. Note the bubble reading. Flip the level end for end (180 degrees) and again note the reading. They should be the same. If not, how you physically adjust the vials depends upon who made the level as there are several ways to do it, including you can't do it.

Last edited:
Sorry, Jim. We were both writing at the same time.

EDIT: Oops. Nope. Your post was on the next page. But at least we agreed. :)

Thank you fellas. No standards or spanners with the mics. (All used Brown and Sharpe mics, in excellent shape). I'd imagine I can buy a set of standards? Ebay? MSC? As far as the machinist level, its a Starrett 98-6, brand new. If I understand correctly, I am essentially just ensuring I get the same measurement no matter which way I spin the level. Is that right? I mean the lathe and table I built for it are not perfectly level, so I don't have a true surface to check the level against.

Google this phrase:
How to calibrate Starrett Level

At least a dozen resources will be found. I did not find any user manuals for levels on starrett.com, but you could send them an email and ask. I have done business with them directly and they are responsive.

To check the micrometers you will need to procure a "standard" or a set of standards. See starrett.com, use-enco.com, mcmaster.com, mscdirect.com, travers.com or any other machinist tool supply house. Even ebay.com!

Spiral_Chips

Back