Just bought a Shizouka AN-S

Just got my sheet metal for the control cabinet back today from the sheet metal shop. Cost me two 12 packs of Coors to have them bent up. The guy I got the mill from gave me the pre cut metal so I just needed to have them bent up.

I also ordered the DSMPC motion controller and the breakout boards and 2 OptoIsolated PNP Sourcing Type I/O Boards.

20150227_141013.jpg 20150227_141103.jpg 20150115_143501.jpg 20150306_113304.jpg

And this just came in 5 min ago.

Paid $79 for he MPG and $15 for express shipping. It's a pretty nice unit. The case is metal and not some cheap plastic.

20150306_122227.jpg

Looks like things are going nicely. Looking forward to your experience with the DCMPC motion controller

what a nice machine. It will be nice to see it up and running again
Steve

I'm pretty anxious to get it running. But after I ordered the controller I got an email saying they are back ordered 1-2 weeks :-(

So not sure what can be done in the mean time. My Renishaw encoders came in today also. Got 4 of them. Going to put a scale on K axis.

Jim found today that the transformer that was supposed to be included isn't in any of the boxes. Not sure how much that will run me for a replacement.

Last edited:
what controller software have you decided on
and stepper or servo?
Steve

Going to give Mach3 a try and stay with the servos hopefully.

There are a set of drives that came with it so if those and the motors are good it will be servos. If not then we will have to regroup and see what the replacement cost is and then go from there.

I also just picked up a touch screen monitor off ebay for it.

I don't know anything about servos but if you have any questions about mach3 I'd be glad to try to help.
I can also help get you started in cad and basic g-code for near nothing if your not wanting to spend a fortune.
Steve

Thank you very much for the offer. I'm very sure we will have questions about Mach3. I found a few free screen set and they are pretty cool, but I'd like to make some changes in them. Small changes, but changes that will help running the mill.

I run 4 axis VMC's all day at work, so I know my G codes pretty well. I'm always fixing programs and adjusting things to get parts into tolerance.

What I don't know is how to run Mastercam X5. Back 14 years ago when I had my shop I used Smartcam and it was dos based. I'm working on learning Mastercam, but I'm tying to unlearn old habits with Smartcam and relearn new in Mastercam and it's not going well. Even though it's been 14 years since I programmed old habits die hard. I've purchased a couple of books on Mastercam, but to say the least they aren't very good.

sounds like I should be asking you questions ...
I was just wanting to be friendly and helpful if you needed any
Steve

Back