Just bought a Van Norman No. 0 mill

I don't know anything about CNC.
However, instead of converting R8s you may have better luck with making some end mill holders.

Daryl
MN
That's a good idea too. I'll look into that. Thanks.

@matthewsx that's true that I'll have some backlash to deal with. I'll be able to account for some of it with mach3 backlash compensation. We'll see. Like I said it's partly just a learning experience for me.

@sdy5001 I'm in RI. I should be all set with the welding but I appreciate the offer. My friend that'll help me with the welds is also helping me with the conversion and mach3 setup. I'll keep you updated on the progress. Have you done anything with yours yet?

As for the numbers on your machine, they may be build numbers for your mill. At some point in the past they didn't do serial numbers and they also didn't necessarily build these machines with interchangeable parts, so the parts for a given machine were numbered for it. If you look around and find a lot of the parts have the same numbers stamped in them, that might be the case.

Hello, Gavin319. That's a great find! Personally I would keep the machine in it's original condition and if it was to be made CNC find ways to do it without modifying the castings, that's just my opinion. It's unlikely that you'll be able to get a ballscrew in the machine without altering the castings significantly for increased clearance for the ballnut. I'd gladly trade you my G0759 which I converted to 3-axis CNC! No joke!
Question for you. What brand is the rotary table in your picture?
If you need any help with designing motor mounts which match existing hole patterns on the VN0 let me know. I'm on a quest to document as much info on VN mills and their accessories as I can since the info is becoming lost to history. Let us know what you do with this awesome machine.

Back