Just Finished Two Knives

BladesIIB

https://www.youtube.com/c/BladesIIB
H-M Platinum Supporter
Just finished two new knife prototypes and ready to make 3 of each to take to the Blade Show in Atlanta 2-4 June. These both use my Triple"B"S knife lock. For these two new models the lock is only on one side. Happy with how they turned out.

CNC work done on my Tormach 1100MX
The mechanism on the blade is CNC, the rest of the blade work is all by hand. Free hand hollow ground bevels and the file work is all free hand with a hacksaw and a chainsaw file.

Ken Onion ought to get back on his plane and fly home to Hawaii, because a real Texas knifemaker is coming to Blade Show 2023!

Ken Onion ought to get back on his plane and fly home to Hawaii, because a real Texas knifemaker is coming to Blade Show 2023!
You are too kind. Ken Onion is a true legend in the knife world.

You are too kind. Ken Onion is a true legend in the knife world.
Nah, he's just a guy with a Tormach. Okay, he has good artistic sense, too. Fine, I have a lot of damascus and 1st runs with Onion's name on it, and they're some of the best out there. But there are plenty of greats less well known. Butch Ball, Warncliffe, Brend, Reeve, Emerson, Anso, Ikoma... it's a neat field because it's wide open! Knives, especially pocket knives, are fetish items in economics. Their value and sales have little to do with anything beyond the buyer/owner's intrinsic value in them. That means it's not governed by supply and demand, and value has little to do with the cost of raw materials. It's all about how someone feels when they hold, view, or use the knife. You can create that feeling. You want to create that feeling, that's what Ken Onion has done with his knives. In fact, I have a first production CRKT type 405 with a limited thin stainless frame right here in my pocket. CRKT knives are okay, they use midrange Japanese blade steel similar to AUS 8, not expensive or fancy. But I like the way this knife feels, it's a fabulous design that meets a few of my criteria- flipper opening, bearing pivot, lanyard hole, frame lock, no no no $%^&* serrations, but the best thing about this one is the texture. It will never fall out of my pocket or slip out of my hands. Ken Onion said the architecture of the convention center in Maui (or some other island with pineapples) inspired the design of the frame after he ended his contract with KAI/Kershaw.

I home in on some very small design cues when buying knives, and sometimes I wonder if I'm getting too picky- but no matter how long the criteria list is, there are always good designs that meet my requirements. It's a fascinating market. The funny thing is that I don't need another knife, ever. But I find so many that I can't live without. I don't even want to admit to what went into my collection, but my most expensive knives were still under $200.

I also like how down to earth knife makers are. I ordered Leroi Pierce's knife mechanism book, and he sent it to me with a $20 tucked inside with a note that said "Thanks for buying my book, I wanted to buy you a beer." That was something else!

Nah, he's just a guy with a Tormach. Okay, he has good artistic sense, too. Fine, I have a lot of damascus and 1st runs with Onion's name on it, and they're some of the best out there. But there are plenty of greats less well known. Butch Ball, Warncliffe, Brend, Reeve, Emerson, Anso, Ikoma... it's a neat field because it's wide open! Knives, especially pocket knives, are fetish items in economics. Their value and sales have little to do with anything beyond the buyer/owner's intrinsic value in them. That means it's not governed by supply and demand, and value has little to do with the cost of raw materials. It's all about how someone feels when they hold, view, or use the knife. You can create that feeling. You want to create that feeling, that's what Ken Onion has done with his knives. In fact, I have a first production CRKT type 405 with a limited thin stainless frame right here in my pocket. CRKT knives are okay, they use midrange Japanese blade steel similar to AUS 8, not expensive or fancy. But I like the way this knife feels, it's a fabulous design that meets a few of my criteria- flipper opening, bearing pivot, lanyard hole, frame lock, no no no $%^&* serrations, but the best thing about this one is the texture. It will never fall out of my pocket or slip out of my hands. Ken Onion said the architecture of the convention center in Maui (or some other island with pineapples) inspired the design of the frame after he ended his contract with KAI/Kershaw.

I home in on some very small design cues when buying knives, and sometimes I wonder if I'm getting too picky- but no matter how long the criteria list is, there are always good designs that meet my requirements. It's a fascinating market. The funny thing is that I don't need another knife, ever. But I find so many that I can't live without. I don't even want to admit to what went into my collection, but my most expensive knives were still under $200.

I also like how down to earth knife makers are. I ordered Leroi Pierce's knife mechanism book, and he sent it to me with a $20 tucked inside with a note that said "Thanks for buying my book, I wanted to buy you a beer." That was something else!
I like your thought process. I make knives and yet I also find many I can’t live without and have a fair collection. Maybe even some over that $200 point!! :) They do all have a unique appeal to different people. Last year was my first time at the show in Atlanta and the variety is endless. That is a great story about Leroi, he came by my table last year and did a quick YouTube video about my knife since I have a unique lock mechanism. I also purchased his books from him and he said if he does an update he will add my lock to the book. Maybe one day! I just love making knives. You have to, unless you are a Ken Onion the ROI is not the drive, just the love of putting one in someone’s hand and seeing the smile when knife and hand are a perfect match.

Not really a knife person per say, but I do enjoy putting a nice edge on blades, all the way down to resharpening razor knife blades (they last forever). I have a few knives that I have inherited or just seem to turn up, and I appreciate them for what they are. Having been on the wrong side of them a few times keeps me from being too attached.

Not really a knife person per say, but I do enjoy putting a nice edge on blades, all the way down to resharpening razor knife blades (they last forever). I have a few knives that I have inherited or just seem to turn up, and I appreciate them for what they are. Having been on the wrong side of them a few times keeps me from being too attached.
Sounds like a deeper story in there for sure. Good to keep them sharp though.

Back