Just got my first ever metal lathe

It can be a nice way to get tooling early to search “machinist lot” on eBay. For a small amount of money you can get a lot of tools, often times a career worth of ground lathe tools someone made and saved.

Some of that tooling is likely to be useful and will probably need some TLC - sharpening, de rusting. Key stock is handy to have on hand, not just for keys! Could some of it be HSS to use for tooling? Do you have a way to sharpen currently? Diamond laps for carbide. (don't use on HSS!) That last photo is a golden oldy!
I do have diamond laps for the carbide, and im gonna have to get a new store for my bench grinder

Some of that tooling is likely to be useful and will probably need some TLC - sharpening, de rusting. Key stock is handy to have on hand, not just for keys! Could some of it be HSS to use for tooling? Do you have a way to sharpen currently? Diamond laps for carbide. (don't use on HSS!) That last photo is a golden oldy!
I do have a question though what is the piece of tooling in the last photo?

Well then I believe I have enough lathe tooling to last me for quite a while, a buddy gave me a grab bag of tooling he got from an machine shop auction for 5$
View attachment 489451

I was also given a bunch of what I believe is key stock
View attachment 489449
Also in that grab bag was this oddity I've never seen a cutter like this..
View attachment 489450
Looks like a very early version of an indexable tool holder, without the indexing of course. Have you checked the bit to see if it's carbide?

John

I do have a question though what is the piece of tooling in the last photo?
When I "de-rust" items, steel and iron objects, I put them in a plastic tub with 50% mix of water and vinegar and let sit over night. Rinse and use baking soda to neutralize the solution and rinse again.

Back