Just put a deposit down on a southbend lathe

Joe0121

Active User
Registered
It is what I believe to be a Heavy ten. The cross slide has .050 of back lash everything else seems to be less the .040. Comes with a six jaw chuck and a quick change tool post. it has the motor under the cabinet. Left deposit today will be picking it up in a couple weeks.

SN 13596RKX16

Can I get the plates that have the feed and speeds and threading info replaced for this? Also I know the R =10 K = Under drive but what does the X mean on the SB site it says special but what is special about it is it a cam lock? I forgot to look when I saw the machine to be honest.

It is what I believe to be a Heavy ten. The cross slide has .050 of back lash everything else seems to be less the .040. Comes with a six jaw chuck and a quick change tool post. it has the motor under the cabinet. Left deposit today will be picking it up in a couple weeks.

SN 13596RKX16

Can I get the plates that have the feed and speeds and threading info replaced for this? Also I know the R =10 K = Under drive but what does the X mean on the SB site it says special but what is special about it is it a cam lock? I forgot to look when I saw the machine to be honest.

I believe X means flame hardened ways.

.050" backlash? That's a half turn of the dial. Did you mean .005"?

.050" backlash? That's a half turn of the dial. Did you mean .005"?

You are correct.

- - - Updated - - -

X just means something was special on it when manufactured. There were many options like hardened bed, cross slide screw, tail stock quill, etc. You'll have to order the serial number card from South Bend Lathe(Grizzly) to know for sure unless its obvious when you get the machine.
http://www.grizzly.com/brands/south-bend-lathe/serialcard

I already plan on ordering the card. Will likely pick it up next Saturday.

You are correct.

- - - Updated - - -

I already plan on ordering the card. Will likely pick it up next Saturday.

You don't actually pick anything up that I am familiar with. Grizzly has a web site where you put in your serial number (twice for error checking), pay your $25 and they send you a PDF file via email.

I believe he meant that he's picking the lathe up next Saturday.

Also correct.

Words are hard.

My reed-Prentice cleanup as taking longer than expected. I think she knows I'm bringing home a skinner girls. She makes the Heavy Ten look like a mini Lathe

Calling Monday to pay for the Lathe. I will be picking it up next weekend. This week will be like waiting for christmass. Sad thing is they have a bridgeport I've been eying. Wife and I may be being another house so gonna hold of on machinery purchases after the lathe less to move. I already order a lube kit and wic kit as well as a GC gear box name plate and "how to run a lathe book" Still looking for replacements to all the other plates.

Back