Just started reconditioning a pretty decent 101.07301 have some questions for the experienced!

The nylon patch set screw is about the only fix for the spindle cone pulley problem other than replacement.

The belts are 3/8". Strangely, no one with apparently original belts has ever reported the rest of the belt industry part numbers for the 101.07301. For the 618 with bench mounted motor, we have motor belt as 3L210 and spindle belt as 3L350. But almost all 618's still in existence have a different countershaft bracket. The safest thing to do would be to buy a pair of them from Clausing.

They do make link belts for 3/8" pulleys but anyone who tries to restart that argument will be treated harshly. 'way more than enough space has already been wasted on it.

As far as measuring for the required belts, the usual method is to mount the countershaft bracket per the drawing. Position the belt tensioner at the middle of its actual adjustment range, and wrap a 3/8" wide preferably cloth tape measure around either of the two middle pulley grooves. Round off to the nearest inch, and buy one that length. Note that the industry belt part number is standardized as a 3 (for 3/8" wide, the letter "L", and a 3-digit number with is the belt length in tenths of an inch. So the 3L350 previously mentioned is 35.0"long. The belts used on all of the Atlas machines except for two of the four on the 12" cabinet models are known as fractional horse power belts, or FHP.

I forgot to add that the two beveled lock pins for the compound swivel and the milling attachment are or were the last time that I asked still available from Clausing. I did do a drawing of the 10-309 some years ago from ones out of my 3996. That drawing is in Downloads. But I never did the M6-309 as I don;t have an original to go by. However, one could probably just scale the 10-309 down by the ratio of .250/.3125 except for the bevel angle of 60 deg.

The nylon patch set screw is about the only fix for the spindle cone pulley problem other than replacement.

The belts are 3/8". Strangely, no one with apparently original belts has ever reported the rest of the belt industry part numbers for the 101.07301. For the 618 with bench mounted motor, we have motor belt as 3L210 and spindle belt as 3L350. But almost all 618's still in existence have a different countershaft bracket. The safest thing to do would be to buy a pair of them from Clausing.

They do make link belts for 3/8" pulleys but anyone who tries to restart that argument will be treated harshly. 'way more than enough space has already been wasted on it.

As far as measuring for the required belts, the usual method is to mount the countershaft bracket per the drawing. Position the belt tensioner at the middle of its actual adjustment range, and wrap a 3/8" wide preferably cloth tape measure around either of the two middle pulley grooves. Round off to the nearest inch, and buy one that length. Note that the industry belt part number is standardized as a 3 (for 3/8" wide, the letter "L", and a 3-digit number with is the belt length in tenths of an inch. So the 3L350 previously mentioned is 35.0"long. The belts used on all of the Atlas machines except for two of the four on the 12" cabinet models are known as fractional horse power belts, or FHP.

Wow wa5cab you are prolific on this board! I super appreciate you sharing your obviously deep knowledge - it's a huge help in getting this machine back in operation.

I checked the set screws for the cone pulley and the bull gear (spindle back gear). I forgot to take pictures/write it down, so unless I have messed it up:
cone pulley oil reservoir set screw - 3/16"" long, #10x32tpi slotted head cone bottom set screw
bull gear oil reservoir set screw - 1/8" long, #8x32 tpi slotted head cone bottom set screw
bull gear pin spring/ball retaining set screw - 1/8" long, #8x32 tpi slotted head cone bottom set screw
I'll take another look this weekend when Im not tired, and correct the above if I got it wrong.

I'll measure the 2 what must be 3/8" belts that I have...if there are any legible #'s or letters, I'll share them along with the lengths, but if memory serves me, there isn't anything there to be read.

If I get the 2 Clausing belts, does that imply that the motor is mounted under/closer to the lathe? I've seen a ton of pics with all imaginable orientations, but all the catalog pics show it mounted like this.

It didn't come with the original motor, but an unused 1/2 hp. motor, circa 2004-2005. It's a Chicago Electric Power Tools motor, which is a Harbor Freight brand. :( At least it is an unused motor, that spins smoothly when power applied.

115VAC, 60Hz, single phase, 5amp no load, 7.5amp peak, 1725 rpm, 5/8" shaft, fan cooled, NEMA 48
Facing the shaft, it is counterclockwise rotation, but is specified as reversible. (Four poles, centrifugal switch, capacitor start)

Question here: If an electric motor like this one is "specified" as reversible, does that imply the start and run windings are the same capacity, or are the start windings much lighter, and the motor is only reversible for short periods? The motor manual schematic seems to imply this, with different sized (# of coils) winding symbols), but on another page it talks about wiring for reverse direction operation, without warning about this, such as I have seen with other motors.

Looking at the lathe, and mounting the motor so that it's counterclockwise rotation is used for normal lathe operations, I think I need to mount the motor "outside" the lathe (to the left of the headstock/countershaft). I would prefer to mount it to the "inside" of the headstock/countershaft (to the right of the headstock/countershaft)... can anyone that knows about reversible electric motors weigh in here? ...am I on crazy pills here?

It came with a 110V fwd-rev toggle switch, but I found a 110V Cole-Hersee fwd-rev drum switch, and I'd rather use that since it's better ergonomics.

From old pics, a NEMA 48 seems to be bigger than the original motors that came with the lathe, so I guess it just remains to be seen how I can mount it.

Attachments

• 20191212_150324.jpg
    20191212_150324.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • 20191212_223344.jpg
    20191212_223344.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • 20191212_223913.jpg
    20191212_223913.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • 20191219_205315.jpg
    20191219_205315.jpg
    915.4 KB · Views: 40
I forgot to add that the two beveled lock pins for the compound swivel and the milling attachment are or were the last time that I asked still available from Clausing. I did do a drawing of the 10-309 some years ago from ones out of my 3996. That drawing is in Downloads. But I never did the M6-309 as I don;t have an original to go by. However, one could probably just scale the 10-309 down by the ratio of .250/.3125 except for the bevel angle of 60 deg.

lol I found the beveled lock pins in another baggy, when I stopped by the lathe today, to check the set screw sizes. Im going to layout ALL parts, by sub-assembly, to finalize the inventory, and ensure I don't keep finding parts I didn't know I had (and vice versa discover more missing items)...that will be an impressive picture, all layed-out on the table. :)

I'll measure the pins and share that here for reference, if you like.

Wow wa5cab you are prolific on this board! I super appreciate you sharing your obviously deep knowledge - it's a huge help in getting this machine back in operation.

I checked the set screws for the cone pulley and the bull gear (spindle back gear). I forgot to take pictures/write it down, so unless I have messed it up:
cone pulley oil reservoir set screw - 3/16"" long, #10x32tpi slotted head cone bottom set screw
bull gear oil reservoir set screw - 1/8" long, #8x32 tpi slotted head cone bottom set screw
bull gear pin spring/ball retaining set screw - 1/8" long, #8x32 tpi slotted head cone bottom set screw
I'll take another look this weekend when Im not tired, and correct the above if I got it wrong.

I'll measure the 2 what must be 3/8" belts that I have...if there are any legible #'s or letters, I'll share them along with the lengths, but if memory serves me, there isn't anything there to be read.

If I get the 2 Clausing belts, does that imply that the motor is mounted under/closer to the lathe? I've seen a ton of pics with all imaginable orientations, but all the catalog pics show it mounted like this.

It didn't come with the original motor, but an unused 1/2 hp. motor, circa 2004-2005. It's a Chicago Electric Power Tools motor, which is a Harbor Freight brand. :( At least it is an unused motor, that spins smoothly when power applied.

115VAC, 60Hz, single phase, 5amp no load, 7.5amp peak, 1725 rpm, 5/8" shaft, fan cooled, NEMA 48
Facing the shaft, it is counterclockwise rotation, but is specified as reversible. (Four poles, centrifugal switch, capacitor start)

Question here: If an electric motor like this one is "specified" as reversible, does that imply the start and run windings are the same capacity, or are the start windings much lighter, and the motor is only reversible for short periods? The motor manual schematic seems to imply this, with different sized (# of coils) winding symbols), but on another page it talks about wiring for reverse direction operation, without warning about this, such as I have seen with other motors.

Looking at the lathe, and mounting the motor so that it's counterclockwise rotation is used for normal lathe operations, I think I need to mount the motor "outside" the lathe (to the left of the headstock/countershaft). I would prefer to mount it to the "inside" of the headstock/countershaft (to the right of the headstock/countershaft)... can anyone that knows about reversible electric motors weigh in here? ...am I on crazy pills here?

It came with a 110V fwd-rev toggle switch, but I found a 110V Cole-Hersee fwd-rev drum switch, and I'd rather use that since it's better ergonomics.

From old pics, a NEMA 48 seems to be bigger than the original motors that came with the lathe, so I guess it just remains to be seen how I can mount it.
was just thinking...is there any reason I can't move the countershaft so that the outer motor pulley is on the other side?...that would allow me to mount the motor under the countershaft, taking up less acreage overall...

To take your last question first, you might be able to put the large 2-groove pulley on the right end and turn the motor around but that buy's you nothing. The motor diameter won't change if you turn it around and the large pulley may get in the way of the belt tension lever. But the only thing that you need to do to reverse the motor rotation if you are not using the drum switch is to reverse the connections to the two Start winding leads or terminals. So leave the large pulley on the left end of the counter shaft.

Before I forget it, the set screw in the bull gear is a set screw, not an oil plug. After you have everything back on the spindle with the spindle in the headstock (don't forget the spindle belt), one of the last things that you do is slide the bull gear up against the pulley and tighten the bull gear set screw against the spindle. Then you check the end float (axial movement) of the pulley. It should be around 0.002" to 0.004". This is with the collar to the left of the small spindle gear hard up against the shoulder in the spindle.

The NEMA frame size specifies the mounting hole pattern and location and the motor shaft diameter. 48 has a 1/2" shaft and 56 has a 5/8" one. It does not determine the motor diameter.

I have to leave now. Back later.

re: the motor orientation - it's about saving some bench real estate, nothing else - it means the lathe can be left-justified to the end of the bench, rather than a foot inward, because of the motor needing to be out there. If I read your post correctly, you are stating I can just wire the reversible motor to run in the direction needed, based on the chosen orientation?

well, we have had some progress over the last week or so

we have had a chance to de-grease/de-rust almost everything
still need to get hands on the
a) tailstock
b) lead screw
c) some accessories (4" 4 jaw, 6" 3 jaw chucks, follower rest).

The ways are in good shape I think, but there is some surface oxidation in a couple spots - any thoughts on our current process, with reference to cleaning up the ways?
1) degrease
2) spray w/ PB Blaster or Kroil until next step
3) wipe down & use some evapo-rust
4) neutralize with H2O, then towel dry
5) spray with PB Blaster to keep an oil film on until we start the re-assembly

I was going to layout each sub-assembly, similar to how the sub-assembly pictures are layed-out, so that people could see this for a sleeve bearing lathe, for future reference.

Also, looking in another folder, I found an original manual with the part diagram (not blown up subassemblies, but the parts layed out image for earlier lathes) and part list - Im going to try and find a 1200dpi scanner, to try and share a really good copy that can be used to identify part numbers when zooming in.partslayedout.jpg

there is 1 item I cannot identify, and a few parts I don't think are part of the lathe, but not being a real machinist, I have a long list of unknown unknowns :|

the "few parts" are a brass 90deg. fitting bracket, with 2 brass wing nuts, and another larger allow wing nut with an attached rubber? washer on the mating surface.

Attachments

• maybenotpartofkit.jpg
    maybenotpartofkit.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 43
  • whatisthis.jpg
    whatisthis.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Also, there were what looked like fiber or paper washers, very thin. They were dried out, cracking, and if they are important, in need of replacement.

One was floating free in a bag of parts (the bag for the parts for the left end of the lead screw), and another in a bag with a single part - it was looped over the non-externally threaded end (on compound gear side) of the Tumbler bracket stud (M6-47).

Where does these get installed? was one a spare? do they go on either side of the stud?
is this an item that can be sourced at mcmaster-carr or someplace??

Attachments

• fiberorpaperwasher.png
    fiberorpaperwasher.png
    677.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Back