K&t Not Happy

jd72cv11

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone,

I picked up a K&T No.1 18-AC over the holidays. I didn't get to power it up before I bought it, but things seemed to move freely enough and I was given assurances that I could return it if I wasn't happy. I was happy when I got it powered up and the motor worked, and the spindle turned. The third time I powered it up I tried the table feed. It did feed, in the super slow range. When I moved the handle to change the feed speed and tried traversing the table nothing happened. When I looked up I saw that the spindle wasn't turning anymore. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions what/where I should look for? Right now I have the pulley&bracket removed. Yesterday I tried removing the feed&rapid traverse bracket to no avail. It was loose and an eighth of an inch away from the column but wasn't moving any further.

Here's a couple pics, because pics are good! As you can see the table feed is a little bit different on this machine.
IMG_8019r.jpgIMG_8018r.jpg

Thanks!!

If it was working it is likely something you are overlooking , I am not familiar with that Mill, Find a manual if you can, some times my lathe appears to be in gear but it is not , I think that may be your issue ....I hope it's that simple for you ...Good Luck

Do you have a back gear behind one of those doors on the body of the mill?
*****Just Asking***************Gator***********

All of the speed gears appear to be fine, when I change gears and turn the spindle by hand the required force changes appropriately. As far as my understanding of back gears go, this mill doesn't have one. The spindle is no longer "getting attached" to the pulley, in simple terms. The motor spins up, the pulley spins with it, the (I believe it's called) clutch shifter rod starts to turn but doesn't ever spin up. This particular does not have a starting lever, it has an auto-magic clutch I guess. I have dug through what I can find for manuals online and haven't found anything with this type of setup.

Thanks for the help!

I tore into her last night. I found some pictures online, between that and the manual I finally figured out what I needed to do. There's a plate on the bottom of the feed and rapid traverse bracket (holds the cap on) that has to come off. After that is off you can get the whole rapid traverse take-off bracket off, spline shafts included.

2015-03-20 18.27.29r.jpg 2015-03-20 19.21.44r.jpg 2015-03-21 12.09.28r.jpg
I have a few more pics if anybody is interested. Thanks for looking!!

All of the K&T mills that I have had and seen have a leaver on the top of the machine. I have a vertical and a horizontal and they both have it. In your first post the first picture on the same side the hump right above the oil site glass is where it should be.

But then I could be wrong! there's a K&T group on yahoo you need to join, There is a guy on there that knows every thing about them.

Anyway good luck with yours sorry I can't really help.

Paul

It doesn't rotate. As I said before, this machine has an auto-magic clutch, no lever, doesn't appear to have had one as the paint looks virgin. The magic is the part I haven't figured out yet. Thanks...

Possible success! I finally got the speed panel off yesterday. I had tried taking it off a few weeks ago but it was acting like something was caught inside. I must have been coming at it from a slightly different angle yesterday because it just kind of swung out. I had made some 6" guide pins when I couldn't get it back together before and I think they made all the difference in getting it off. They definitely make putting it back on possible.

I think, maybe, that it was a detent problem. On one of the rods that the clutch shifter fork is on I think it may have gotten hung up in the wrong position. I'm not sure of any of this, just guessing. I partly reassembled things, pulled the clutch shifter rod out manually, adjusted the clutch a couple times, and the spindle turns under power. Unfortunately I have to take it a bit apart again so I can reinstall the feed/traverse gears, then I'll see if I can move the table under power too!

2015-03-22 18.05.21r.jpg 2015-03-22 18.08.06r.jpg
Thanks for playing along!

Back