K40 Laser rebuild

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I got bit by the laser bug in the Fall and bought a 10w output Ortur diode laser. I like it but it's not powerful enough.
My shop is very limited in floor space so I needed more power in a compact footprint.
The smallest 50w CO2 laser is still 41" long by 27" deep, has a working are of 12" x 20". And it's a whopping $2700CDN.

So I looked at scratch building one and that was going to be as expensive albeit it would give me a larger working area.

While making sure I used as much of my monthly internet bandwidth I happened upon a blog where the writer had modified a K40 laser to create a 12x24" working area. These machines have a much smaller foot print, usually 27" to 30" L by 20" or so deep.

These machines out of the box are not exactly high quality but there is a huge community of folks who use them in stock or modified form. The first and most common upgrade is to swap the control board for one that will run GRBL and Lightburn which is the defacto standard for laser control software.

So I took the plunge and bought an OmTech K40 via eBay for $445 CDN
Bought a GRBL control board from VMS and a bunch of bit and bobs including some 2020 and 2040 extrusion for the gantry.
Fired up the 3D printer and printed off all the necessary pieces.

Stripped out all of the original works in preparation for the new gantry.
(I neglected to take a pic of the original gantry and electronics...)
The gantry was on the left side of the divider and power supply, control board and what not were on the right side.
Basic_enclosure.jpeg
K40_stripped.jpeg

I'm covering the bottom with a piece of 1/2" plywood with 24ga aluminum glued to it..

Here’s the basic build of the gantry.
The opening of the enclosure is 25.5”w while the floor of the laser enclosure is 27.75 wide by 19.5” deep
Measuring 27.5” from the left side motor mount to the right hand end of the gantry will yield 20.75” of travel in the X axis.
I should net about 12.5” of travel in the Y axis.
Gantry.jpeg
mirror2_head.jpeg

All in I should be able to complete this build for about $800 - $900 or about $1900 less than a new machine.

Made more progress today.
Had to do a full assembly on the bench to figure out how to get it into the enclosure.
6c8a811c24cae6ab3af4abc3f39d044b.jpg

69a85189d84729c87413f6fcd3995332.jpg

4bee4bf24a6c541022e31ca04b137174.jpg

b615bc05c3383c0907dffb244ba909e5.jpg

And the mechanicals are in the enclosure.
Next step is finish the enclosure and wiring and then onto aligning the mirrors.
D6711E55-FDA8-4278-803D-88436C509E2B.jpeg

Well, that's the nicest K40 I've ever seen! Well done man!

I like my import laser. It does a great job and handles more than it really should.

Well, that's the nicest K40 I've ever seen! Well done man!

I like my import laser. It does a great job and handles more than it really should.
Thanks, appreciate that!
What machine do you have?
I'm already planning my next build, a Layzor :)

Thanks, appreciate that!
What machine do you have?
I'm already planning my next build, a Layzor :)

It's one of the larger brothers of the K40, I always call is a "Chinese 60W" because I don't trust the watt ratings. I'm pretty sure laser ratings are made up on the spot by everyone. It does what I need it to though, so I can't complain too much. I even sometimes use it for machining. It burns Dychem off really well, so I can draw really clean lines on parts with it. I also tend to make misc gaskets and such with it when I'm not using it as designed to cut/engrave wood and plastic.

It looks a lot like this one, seems like the details change every other week on imports. :)

The LAYZOR looks like a nice setup.

s-l1600.jpg

I was very seriously considering one of those. But they are $3000 in Canada :oops:

Back