Keyless chuck

hotrats

andy harwood
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I bought a PM keyless chuck with my lathe, it's on a mt3 taper. Can you remove it from the taper? how - wedges? I've actually never used it, and would like to put it on a R8 to use on the mill

Attachments

• chuck.jpg
    chuck.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 37
They are an integrated shank chucks, the shank cannot be removed. You would need a JT chuck mount taper on the drill chuck end to remove it.

It depends on how the arbor is mounted to the chuck. It can be a Jacobs taper mount, thread mount or integral to the chuck. If it's integral to the chuck, you can't remove it. If it's a Jacobs taper mount, you use wedges to release it. If it's threaded on, you will typically see a screw down inside the chuck (usually left hand thread). After removing the screw the chuck should unthread from the arbor. Some chucks are engraved or stamped with the mounting information.

Ted

Thanks for the help and suggestions. It appears that a mt3 to R8 adapter is in my future...

An integrated shank chuck is about as short a stick out as you can get, will be the most rigid and will have the least run out (vs. the effected multiple stacked interfaces). Using an R8 to MT3 adapter for the mill would result in the chuck hanging out another 3+" from the spindle, and compounded TIR of multiple interfaces, as well as loss of rigidity and Z height. Seems a bit foolish at the end of the day, when you can get an R8 integral drill chuck for $50-60. I use this one on my lathe (MT3) and it has worked very well, they, they also have a higher end line which I bought for another person and it was excellent.

Back