Keyless drill chuck abuse

Red96

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I had an operation I needed to perform using a carbide burr. I had a jig setup to shape the profiles of some brass parts using the burr. I absent-mindedly mounted the carbide burr in a keyless 1/2 drill chuck, not thinking about how I was going to be side-loading the tool for this operation. Stupid me, should've had the burr mounted in a collet or mill holder instead. Only upon finishing the operation and going to remove the burr did I realize my bone headed mistake and figured I'd ruined the chuck. Went to drill a very small (#56) hole and sure enough that drill bit danced around like a hula girl. Ordered a new chuck. Hopefully I can take the buggered one apart and make it serviceable again. Lesson learned - keyless drill chucks are for drilling, not milling or other side-loading of tooling.

1000001470.jpg1000001468.jpg1000001473.jpg

I’ve made the same boneheaded move myself. It happens

If I'd just had been paying attention. Burr went into the drill chuck only because it was still in the spindle from a prior drilling operation. Oh well, best lessons are learned the hard way($), eh? You can bet your left one that will not ever happen again.

Agreed, sir.

The particulars of the operation did not lend itself to a typical milling operation in this case. I adapted and it turned out quite well.

Except for the choice (or lack thereof) of toolholding, LOL.

I had an operation I needed to perform using a carbide burr. I had a jig setup to shape the profiles of some brass parts using the burr. I absent-mindedly mounted the carbide burr in a keyless 1/2 drill chuck, not thinking about how I was going to be side-loading the tool for this operation. Stupid me, should've had the burr mounted in a collet or mill holder instead. Only upon finishing the operation and going to remove the burr did I realize my bone headed mistake and figured I'd ruined the chuck. Went to drill a very small (#56) hole and sure enough that drill bit danced around like a hula girl. Ordered a new chuck. Hopefully I can take the buggered one apart and make it serviceable again. Lesson learned - keyless drill chucks are for drilling, not milling or other side-loading of tooling.

View attachment 487853View attachment 487854View attachment 487855
What brand of chuck?

Im not saying you're wrong about ruining it, I just find it hard to believe it was ruined by that unless the jaws were super soft.

We have two Albrect chucks at work I have seen abused for over 3 decades and their still going.

Carbide burrs may not be made for milling, but I've had to use them when running into hard pockets in welds and similar situations. You feed very slowly and use compressed air to blow the shavings away so they don't foul the cutting action of the fine flutes.

Use a collet if possible. It is designed to grip in the best way, compared to a drill chuck or end mill holder.

What brand of chuck?

PM chuck. (Folks can/will bash if they want, , but I felt it was a great chuck before I put it through service it was never designed for.)

Jaws do not appear damaged, but they no longer come together evenly when you tighten it. One jaw is ever so slightly late to the party. Really tiny drills no longer run concentric, but it's probably fine for rough work with more common diameters. I used to be able to chuck in a #56 and it would run dead nuts. Now it dances around a bit. Going forward it'll be the workhorse, and it's replacement will be reserved for the tiny stuff. Or the 0-10mm Albrecht I just picked up. Needs cleaning but shows little to no wear.

Use a collet if possible. It is designed to grip in the best way, compared to a drill chuck or end mill holder.

Agreed. This all happened because the drill chuck was in the mill from a prior operation and I just chucked the burr in without thinking. Guess I was more focused on the other sketchy aspects of what I was planning to do. I know better, just made a mental error unfortunately. :rolleyes:

PM chuck. (Folks can/will bash if they want, , but I felt it was a great chuck before I put it through service it was never designed for.)

Jaws do not appear damaged, but they no longer come together evenly when you tighten it. One jaw is ever so slightly late to the party. Really tiny drills no longer run concentric, but it's probably fine for rough work with more common diameters. I used to be able to chuck in a #56 and it would run dead nuts. Now it dances around a bit. Going forward it'll be the workhorse, and it's replacement will be reserved for the tiny stuff. Or the 0-10mm Albrecht I just picked up. Needs cleaning but shows little to no wear.

Agreed. This all happened because the drill chuck was in the mill from a prior operation and I just chucked the burr in without thinking. Guess I was more focused on the other sketchy aspects of what I was planning to do. I know better, just made a mental error unfortunately. :rolleyes:
I can see that.

Out albrechts have served rough duty being shop chucks, but almost everyone has a small precision chuck for smaller work.

Hell I even have a preferred machine with a slightly loose quill spring I prefer to do tiny work in.

With a big chuck in that one the quill falls as soon as you take your hand off of the handle if you don’t drag the lock s bit.

My overall preferred machine you would never even feel a #56 drill touch off let alone have any real feel for it.

For small work in that machine I have a finger chuck.

Albrecht also sells rebuild kits, so all is not lost if you have a lapse in judgement. If your chuck is a close knockoff the same kit might work...

GsT

Back