Kinda Stuck

dlane

Active User
Registered
Hi all , I'll try to keep it short , two 1/2 years ago I lived on my 40 AC tree farm in Arkansas it was a lot of work keeping the jungle down, as I didn't have cattle or livestock, basically lived on the tractor :apologize:
All my family is here in California my brother suggested I move to his place while my place sells. I didn't want to leave my place vacant so I let a friend rent it. Turns out she doesn't want to leave so she's sabotaging any possible sales and I'm still stuck here. The place is a nice 40 ac with a 2 ac pond 3-2 older house 30x30 metal shop Several out buildings. It is listed with century 21 "I think renter is doing the agent so she can stay there." That's the only real estate co that would do 7% all the rest won't go lower than 10%
Since I've Ben here I've acquired several decent machine tools in my brothers dusty shop. This area is the most expensive area to buy a house or anything else ,and the people are not good , machine tools seem cheep here as everybody went to cnc . I do have a good truck and trailer but don't really want to move back there . It would be one heck of a load to haul back there .If the place did sell I couldn't afford anything around here anyhow. It's nice being close to family as moms getting up there and dads gone now I know mom dosn't want me to go back but this is not my kinda place to live. Although north Cali would prob work somewhere within six hrs of Bay Area
Sorry just venting

Sounds like there is more to this story than your telling. If it was me I would take the time to go back and straighten things out. Even if it means getting rid of the renter and hiring another agency to sell it. You can always come back to mom after. And I am sure she would understand.

An interesting dilemma. If I had 40ac somewhere I think I would move to it. You can always rent out the land to a local farmer and let them do the hard work, or get a herd of goats:). The area that you are currently living in would not be my first choice. It sounds like the only thing really holding you there is your mom, maybe take her with you?

Getting rid of a renter that doesn't want to go can be a real PITA. I know, I've been a slumlord for the last 20 some years. I have one right now that is about to get a notice and another that's treading on thin ice.

It's a long haul, but may be worth it for your sanity.;)

I don't think it would be a good idea to leave the place vacant as there are no immediate houses close by. I'm needing to get all I can out of the place 10% commission is too much. 7% is to much but best I could find, if it was out here ied be a gazillionare, but land out there is reasonable and the area is a much slower lifestyle "think Mayberry "

try listing on Zillow.
i have not personally done it, but it is an option.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=23&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiFqM3pmIPOAhWHKGMKHZbpCfQQ-TAIpQEoADAW&url=http://www.zillow.com/&usg=AFQjCNFx1gJJqM0cc_WC8fXXsnZNSfcv8Q&bvm=bv.127521224,d.cGc

century21 is only looking out for century21.
no disrespect intended, but you may need to be more proactive in getting rid of the varmit in your hen house and make bigger strides towards finding a RE agent who is hungry.

Have you spoken to your tenant about the situation? Does she want to buy the place from you? Would she be able to?

Did your friend sign a lease? If something nefarious is going on that you cannot otherwise remedy, as a last resort, inform her you will not be renewing her lease and she will need to find somewhere else to live.

After living in the SF Bay area for 10 years, I would have pulled the wagon full of tools to Arkansas myself. Good luck
Randy

Gawd, I'd love to have that much land.

Did you check ALL the agencies in the area, even somewhat outside the area? I agree with the hungry agent approach, there has to be someone.

Start removal proceedings on your 'friend' and if you suspect something about the listing agent, call him out.

Maybe a case for Judge Judy? Ya make money off of the show ya know. Maybe enough to consider a 10% agency? :grin:

Tommy I thought the land would be great , till I had to keep up on it , its mostly pine trees but I tryed to keep 5acs mowed. In that area the grass / weeds grew 2" a day, seems I lived on mowers it got old quick I was there 10 yrs . I checked all agency's 7% was the lowest
The tenant knew it was for sale , in fact she lived there free the first year ,then I made her start paying rent with a month to month lease . She dose want the place ,but rent to own won't work for me as I need my own place sooner than later. The listing will expire in December.
Talked to agent yesterday he said he has some interested party's x3 "he could be blowing smoke"
If I end up in another place it will be a shop apartment, no maintainence don't want one blade of grass to mow . The 30x30 shop I built out there had 3x 220 outlets 5 X 110 , septic ,water, for apartment wish I could find that within 6 hrs from here

I'de rather be on the 40acs . I don't know what the renter is like but you might want to move back and do the renter. Any place off the beaten track is much better than close to the big cities. Where I live is 30 to 40 miles from a good sized town. I can shoot my guns and live like a human. Good luck no mater what you do.

Back