King PDM30 - head counterbalance lift assist.

Yeah the old style cast iron barbell weights would be perfect for that. They can usually be found for cheap or even free.

20 some yeas ago, I built a counterbalanced pot rack for my kitchen. I cast lead weights in empty soup cans and had to make a hole through centers for a threaded rod. It was one of the trickiest materials I ever worked, it grabs and snaps drills like crazy, yeah even dulled ones.
Would a masonry drill work?

yes. Masonry bits are perfect for the cast iron that the plates have. They are soft enough to not break when hitting a hard spot.
just make sure the bit is sharp to begin with, not a really old grind... BTW, if you get plates with holes in it, you don't need to drill.. Just stick an eyebolt into a plate of steel use some loctite and attach the plates on top.. use a carabiner type latch to connect /disconnect it from your cable...

For the lead? maybe, I didn't try using one. I wound up using a regular twist drill dulled, at a slow speed and lube. I retracted the drill a lot to clear the chips. You have to be carful not to feed too fast or the drill will grab, dig in, and sometimes snap. In hindsight, a spade/paddle bit might be the way to go.

I would use the same grind as for brass, lube it, and clear chips a LOT.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Back