King PDM30 Lift Assist - Completed

Canuck75

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
On my last post on this subject I had slung 40 lbs of scrap on the counter-balance lift assist, and, while it made a difference, more weight was obviously needed as the difference in up and down crank pressure was still noticeable. Went around to a few tire shops and eventually got two buckets full of weights (130 lbs). With the kind assistance of H-M member f350ca, who had all the necessary heating equipment, a 6" coffee can was poured full. The final weight is 68 lbs but took about 100 lbs of raw wheel weights to get there. Wheel weights today don't seem to be made from pure lead anymore so was surprised to calculate that the can should be 69.6 lbs and at 68 lbs is almost there! A lot of the stick-on weights also show magnetic qualities?
I know it is subjective, but it now feels like it takes about the same pressure on the crank to go in either direction, and is very very easy to move the head. That sure meets the objective I had in mind so am calling it finished!
Hope you find this interesting and thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpeg
    IMG_0024.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0028.jpeg
    IMG_0028.jpeg
    359.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0026.jpeg
    IMG_0026.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0029.jpeg
    IMG_0029.jpeg
    351 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0016.jpeg
    IMG_0016.jpeg
    438.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0483.jpeg
    IMG_0483.jpeg
    483.7 KB · Views: 38
Wheel weights were never pure lead, but are an alloy of lead and antimony at about 4% and tin at about .5% according to info that was recently posted.

Most of the wheel weights I see today are a zinc alloy. Not sure if this is just a California thing or it is nation wide. Lost a good source of lead for cast bullets.

Most of the wheel weights I see today are a zinc alloy. Not sure if this is just a California thing or it is nation wide. Lost a good source of lead for cast bullets.
Yes, some zinc, and also steel, In Ca. it can be a good thing, tire shops are still removing lead weights, and they are classed as hazardous waste, and the shops have to pay to get rid of them, and will give them away to a person such as myself to avoid the disposal cost, strangely enough, after they are melted down and the clips are skimmed off and disposed of, they are simply scrap lead and can be sold as such. I have hundreds of pounds of it, and use it for making lead hammers and, with the addition of some tin, I make bullets, also.

Back