Knee Vs. Head

1mondo

Registered
Registered
Hello
I am considering getting a new mill. Need opinions on weather a knee machine or one that the headstock would have to be lowered or raised to get to the work piece would be better. The mills that I am looking at are the
Grizzly G0755 (head stock moves)and the Grizzly G0728 knee mill.
any input would be appreciated
Thanks
Ray

I am also considering a new mill I'm looking at the G0761 . I don't need the stand as I have one that will bo the job. One thing that makes the table top mill look better is the space and the speeds that are available. I would love to have a BP but it takes up space that I don't have . Also if you need to move it is harder to move. Just my 2 cants.

It depends on a lot of things. What type of work you will mostly be doing. How much space you have. How much money you can spend. How much electric power you can supply. Etc. etc. As far as performance goes, mass and rigidity are king with milling machines. If you will be only doing light work with softer materials, you can go smaller without too many issues. If you will be machining larger steel parts, go for the heaviest, most rigid mill you can fit into your shop and your budget.

Hi Ray,

Having started out with a bench top style, I plan to move to a smaller knee in the future. I think as Bob has outlined, it depends on the materials you are milling and the work envelope you will need. I find that I am constantly running out of the Y and Z limits on my BF-30, which is has a bit more travel than the G0761. The footprint of the machines should be close to the same for a given table size, so I do not see this as an issue. The major limiting factor for many of the RF type benchtop clones, is very limited speed selection (6 speeds) and maximum speed (not to mention quality issues). In a benchtop, my recommendation for Grizzly mills in this price range would be the G0722. Variable speed, larger table with bigger T-slots, longer travel, power X/Z feed get high marks. You quickly get tired of cranking the X and Z axis handle, and finish improve dramatically with a powered X feed. A limitation of the G0722 (and most bench top mills) is top speed of 1600 RPM, but this is really minor. Most knee mills have a significantly higher top end speeds (usually around 4200-5000 RPM). If looking at a smaller knee on a limited budget, I would say that the PM-935TS would be much preferable to the G0728 for not much more. If you need a wider speed envelop, get a small VFD like the Teco L510 (about $200) and go with a 3 phase motor. Another significant factor to consider is that single phase motors do not take kindly to repeated stop/go tasks common with milling, and can burn up their start capacitors. This is not an issue with 3 phase and DC drive motors, they also give more even power delivery.

Mark

Along the lines of what Mark said: The PM-935TS (step pulley) mill with a VFD will easily do 5000 rpm spindle speed. Matt assures me that the head/spindle/bearings in the TS are the same as the TV (reeves variable speed drive) and will handle these rpms with no problem.

And the combination of the simpler belt drive head and the VFD is nice and quiet when running. :)

Back