Kurt 8" Vise Swap

boldham

Registered
Registered
I'm a newbie (this will be apparent upon further reading). I bought a used Kurt D80 8" vise thinking why wouldn't I want more capacity. OMG, this thing is massive. I now realize I probably need a 4" vise for my benchtop mill (Rusnok style). Anyone have any suggestions for trading down! I'm hoping I can trade for a similar quality, but more reasonably sized, vise. I suspect shipping would not be an option as it weighs over 150 lbs and I have several sets of jaws probably bringing shipping weight up to nearly 200 lbs. Any ideas welcome. Thanks, Brendan

Yes, they are pretty big and heavy. I have an 8 inch Kurt that has the rotary base on it and I use an overhead chain fall hoist to lift it.
If I didn't already have one I would be interested. Someone out there will want it for sure. Maybe Craig's list or EBay would work for you.
I bought mine on EBay and had it truck shipped to Minnesota. Good luck Brendan.

Welcome to HM!

Wow, that is a BIG mistake! I hope you didn't buy it new.

Most practical is to try to sell it locally, CL, FB Marketplace. They can be very handy to have for a full-size vertical mill, but are so unwieldy (and expensive) that demand is limited. Your most likely market is in the industry, few hobbyists will need one that large. If you're willing to part with it for the price of a D40 you will probably find a taker.

Some lessons are more expensive than others.
Good luck.

Wow, that is a BIG mistake! I hope you didn't buy it new.

Most practical is to try to sell it locally, CL, FB Marketplace. They can be very handy to have for a full-size vertical mill, but are so unwieldy (and expensive) that demand is limited. Your most likely market is in the industry, few hobbyists will need one that large. If you're willing to part with it for the price of a D40 you will probably find a taker.

Some lessons are more expensive than others.
Good luck.
Thanks for advice. I bought it used and got a good deal (especially when compared to the cost of a new one. OMG!). My hoarder instinct tells me to keep it because it is so cool but my (less influential) practical instinct tells me I'll never have a use for something this big. Cheers!

Yes, they are pretty big and heavy. I have an 8 inch Kurt that has the rotary base on it and I use an overhead chain fall hoist to lift it.
If I didn't already have one I would be interested. Someone out there will want it for sure. Maybe Craig's list or EBay would work for you.
I bought mine on EBay and had it truck shipped to Minnesota. Good luck Brendan.

Welcome to HM!
Thanks!

Buy a bigger mill ;)

John
Ha! You should see my garage! Either way, I'll suggest it to the wife. When I bought my current one, she asked what I was going to make with it and I struggled to come up with an answer!

IMG_3763.JPG

View attachment 362192

Love the pic with the lady in the background with her hand on her head, "OMG, wth did this crazy guy bring home this time!"

Ha! You should see my garage! Either way, I'll suggest it to the wife. When I bought my current one, she asked what I was going to make with it and I struggled to come up with an answer!
my response is "Stuff, you know, things..."
She's figured out that means tools to make tools....

Back