Lathe Bench - Laminated Mdf?

Thanks for the input everyone. I thought about it some more, and ended up going with 2 layers of decent quality 3/4" Baltic Birch laminated for the top (clamped up and drying right now). If I had gone with MDF I was planning on some sort of laminate to seal it, but after pricing it out and not having any local sources for anything I liked laminate wise, I thought the ply was the way to go in this case, without spending a fortune. I think it will be a little more dimensionally stable and pretty rigid.

The steel frame I have is pretty rigid already, and will be reinforcing it with additional angle iron bracing.

I used to have my 19x20 bench lathe on a double layer bench made from ply, that was as solid as my 2x6 topped bench's.

Stuart

Before I found an old lathe cabinet for my horizontal milling machine, I'd stopped at the local kitchen counter place and asked about getting a piece of stone countertop. You should be able to get an offcut, leftover or blemished piece for well under $100. Glue it to a piece of 3/4 MDF or plywood and you've got a stable flat base. If you mark the mounting holes, you can probably get them to drill it for a couple bucks.

Ideal bench would have a top made of 1-1/2 steel plate. Optional on the stress relieving!

Thanks for the input everyone. I thought about it some more, and ended up going with 2 layers of decent quality 3/4" Baltic Birch laminated for the top (clamped up and drying right now). If I had gone with MDF I was planning on some sort of laminate to seal it, but after pricing it out and not having any local sources for anything I liked laminate wise, I thought the ply was the way to go in this case, without spending a fortune. I think it will be a little more dimensionally stable and pretty rigid.

The steel frame I have is pretty rigid already, and will be reinforcing it with additional angle iron bracing.

I just built a top using the same material, but I painted the top with Rustoleum Hamme finish paint in silver. 4 coats with my sprayer on all 6 sides and it looks great. I banded the edges with maple and routed the edges with a 1/4" bullnose bit. It now looks like a metal top and should be very stable. I am going to use uni strut for the base and mount 2" rubber caster with two way brakes (locked swivel and wheel)

You can always do a concert table. Do a form on top of what ever legs you decide on. I'm planning on doing this in my kitchen. Not for the lathe of course. :)

I am using a band board for my table top on my lathe table. It is used to tie the end of wooden I beams together. It is very solid and is over 2" thick and has very little flex even in long lengths. It is also very stable due to the glues in it. I lucked up and found some at a yard sale but building supply stores sell it by the foot and will cut to any length you need.

Back