Lathe chuck rotary table adaptor

Brnoczech

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This is an adaptor that I made for installing a lathe chuck with workpiece onto a rotary table. It also works to install the lathe chuck in a 5C indexer. The chucks are a 4 inch 3 jaw and a 6 inch 4 jaw that are used on a Myford Super 7 lathe. The first two pictures, below, are the front and rear of the adaptor. The threaded portion duplicates the lathe spindle. The shaft on the other side is turned to 3/4 inch diameter. the three brass set screws are to make sure that the chuck and the adaptor are fixed solidly together as unit and that the adaptor doesn't back off of the chuck. Chuck Rotary Adaptor front view.jpg Chuck Rotary Adaptor back view.jpg

The next two pictures show the configurations of the backs of the two chucks, and the next two show the chucks with the adaptor installed and tightened. chuck Rotary Adaptor 4 jaw chuck.jpgChuck Rotary Adaptor 3 jaw chuck.jpgChuck Rotary Adaptor installed on 4 jaw.jpgChuck Rotary Adaptor installed on 3 jaw.jpg

Next are pictures of the bottom and top of the plate that the adaptor shaft goes through with three countersunk bolts to hold the adaptor and chuck. Chuck Rotary Adaptor Plate bottom view.jpgChuck Rotary Adaptor Plate top view.jpg
The next pictures show the hold downs for the plate, and the chuck and adaptor secured to the plate, and the unit attached to the rotary table with the holddowns. chuck Rotary Adaptor plate installed on 4 jaw.jpgChuck Rotary Adaptor plate hold downs.jpg Chuck Rotary Adaptor 4 jaw on rotary table.jpg

The final two pictures that I hope are attached show a screw jack that I made to remove the center that I made for the rotary table when using the adaptor. The normal center in the rotary is MT 3 or 4 (don't recall which). I obtained a MT adaptor for a smaller MT, and then bored it out for a snug fit with the 3/4 inch shaft. The jack screw has a hook on the end that catch through the slot in the MT insert, and allows it to be pull free and removed.Sorry if the pictures and text are somewhat disjointed. I haven't figured out how to insert the pictures in the text very well yet. Chuck Rotary Adaptor jack screw.jpg3 jaw chuck key.jpg .

3 jaw chuck key.jpg Chuck Rotary Adaptor 3 jaw chuck.jpg chuck Rotary Adaptor 4 jaw chuck.jpg Chuck Rotary Adaptor 4 jaw on rotary table.jpg Chuck Rotary Adaptor back view.jpg Chuck Rotary Adaptor front view.jpg Chuck Rotary Adaptor installed on 3 jaw.jpg Chuck Rotary Adaptor installed on 4 jaw.jpg Chuck Rotary Adaptor jack screw.jpg Chuck Rotary Adaptor Plate bottom view.jpg Chuck Rotary Adaptor plate hold downs.jpg chuck Rotary Adaptor plate installed on 4 jaw.jpg Chuck Rotary Adaptor Plate top view.jpg

That's nice, I have been wanting to do that for as long time!!

Nice work!
You should be proud of that job :thumbsup:
It appears you addressed all the details. Great job

Nice solution to a sometimes pesky problem. Well done.

Beautiful work, and something else added to my "to do" list.

Thanks,

-Ron

Definately on my want list too. Rotary table first, then tool it out in a couple of sizes like you did too. Excelent looking work and well thought out, all in all a great tool addition to any machinist war chest anytime.

Bob

This is only as far as I got so far. Biggest hurdle is the chuck is new but its a camlock.

stud.JPG base.JPG 4 jaw mounted.JPG

thats great work and a great tool, think i may wanna do that ,, uh err , that is when my skill level
gets there haha

Back