Lathe Clearance

RHayes

Registered
Registered
Greetings from north Idaho. I have been looking for a lathe and milling machine since getting my new shop up about a year ago. Haven't found anything decent in my neck of the woods and like the Grizzly G4003G. In a previous post, someone posted a diagram showing 30" clearance required for maintenance behind this lathe. In the shop bay where I want to place the lathe, this would put it in a position where you may not be able to open a car door. I really need to have it close the wall.

Can anyone shed some light on why Grizzly would suggest this? I would have no problem if the lathe could be located 10 or 12" from the wall.

Thanks for any help, I hope to be spending some more time here in the future.

No idea. My South Bend is stone up against the wall. If I really need to get back there, I'll move it.

I would go to the Grizzly site and download the G4003G manual. Look in the maintenance section, there may be lube points or grease fittings back there. Once you know where they are, you can decide how much room you need. 30" seems excessive to me, but there are a lot of members here who own that lathe, so hopefully they will chime in. Good luck with the new lathe, JR49

The big issue is the electrical cabinet. It faces the rear of the lathe. I think I remember reading on the Yahoo 12x36 group where it can be pretty easily reoriented to face sideways or forward. Lacking that, you just need to make sure all the wires are tight, secure, and looking good in there and resign yourself into moving the lathe to be able to troubleshoot the electrical system. Being able to walk around your lathe is also good for cleaning up around it. Neither of those issues are deal breakers, put it against the wall if you want to. Lots of other people have done so.

Thanks so much for the replies.

JR49, I will check out the manual and see if anything stands out.

Bob and jamiesaun, I appreciate the feedback. That machine is looking more and more like it would work

I posted the drawing from the Grizzly manual. I agree with Bob Korves.

Steve Shannon, USA

I went with the 30" clearance behind my 4003. It was nice to have the space behind the lathe when taking apart the apron and cross slide. Also when cleaning the chip pand and feet, in order to seal the joints with Permatex.

Twice so far I've had to remove the back splash, which was made much easier by having the 30" already available, rather than having to move the machine out and back.

When I don't need access I put my brake/shear/roll behind it, since it is on a table with casters.

I seem to remember somewhere there is a requirement (maybe OHSA) that states the need for the clearance behind any machine installed in a factory setting. In a home shop I'm sure there is no requirement.

It's your house, put the furniture anywhere you want it.

fixit

Back