Lathe Newbie

Looks like you have some good advice.
You have been a member since 2017 with less than 100 posts.
I for one, would really like to see some pics.
Also, we would love to hear from you more often!
I'll second this. There are numerous sets of tools like this available, some with boring bars, some with threading tools. Take your pick.
I did buy the Bostar AXA Kit and extra tool holders. I measured them and they are consistent. I liked the AXA because the adjustment range seemed to be very advantageous. The KDK tool post was difficult for me to get tool height right. Everything seems to be OK. I bought the PM tool bar kit because in my ignorance this seemed to cover most everything.

Please share some pictures of the KDK tool holders (and post), If they are the same size as the ones I use on my SB Heavy 10, I would like to purchase them.

I bought the PM tool bar kit because in my ignorance this seemed to cover most everything.
It'll be fine...they're good tools, and common types, so definitely handy to have.

I hope you can read the attachment. Your assessment will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Loagan Lathe Centering.docx
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
If the above did not work for you try this

Attachments

• Loagan Lathe Centering.pdf
    548.9 KB · Views: 10
More request for information. I have a ER32 collet chuck #3 Morse taper. It rotated on me during a shallow cut. I removed it and blued it reinstalled it and the attached picture shows it only engages the last 1/2". That does not seem right to me. The logan 820 that I have has a cylindrical section that extends 2" into the spindle. I do not even know what to ask.

Attachments

• ER32 collet.jpg
    ER32 collet.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Spindle.bmp
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Have you indicated the spindle bore to establish taper or deviation from?

Have you indicated the spindle bore to establish taper or deviation from?
I cannot reach the tapered section with the tools I have. The extrapolated measurements from the sketch indicate a dia at the beginning of the taper to be .826"

As the attached sketch indicates There is a 2" cylindrical section of the spindle before the taper begins. The collets taper engages at 2.16 inches into the bore and about .164" into the taper for .59" The attached photo from above shows the engagement in the removed blue. The attached new sketch is a better measurement of the engagement at 2.16 and 2.75 inches from the face of the spindle. It would seem to me that that is not enough engagement. I have no idea if the cylindrical section of the spindle is factory or not. I have not been able to acquire a drawing of the spindle.

I have ordered a ER32 collet chuck that uses the same mounting as the 3 jaw chuck from LeeValley. Hope it arrives in my lifetime.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Spindle.jpg
    Spindle.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 3
Back