Lathe solid tool post mount thoughts

I love it!!

My lapping plate is an old Lee Valley surface plate 9" X 12", sourced from offshore. It isn't very accurate and very small. I paid about 29$ for it, but didn't realize it was useless for machining. It is perfect for a single sheet of wet and dry.

I've used float glass for lapping as well..
I assume that's what the lapping plate I have is, float glass.

Seems like a solid plinth would be an opportunity to build in a 29.5* position. Several QCTPs have dowel pin holes for positioning - so add another. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing that is nearly right, nor good enough. With apologies to H. Royce...

GsT
the angle of the QCTP is not the issue it is the travel angle of the compound slide.

I've contemplated eschewing the swivel 2-bolt mount in favor of a 4-bolt mount directly to the cross-slide. The video shows the 4-bolt direct mount is at the edges of the cross-slide, and into the dovetails. In may case, drilling and tapping the dovetail areas would constrain bolt diameter, probably to M4, while doing the same outside the dovetails constrains bolt length to 5mm or so, and would probably require custom facing/parting the bolts so they don't protrude past the bottom of the cross-slide.

My instinct tells me bolting through the dovetail area is the better choice, I can always add another bolt making it a 6-bolt mount if needed.

View attachment 488593
that is what i did.
the added benefit is that the large plate bolted thru the dove tails improves the rigidity of the cross slide as well.
also i machined 2 bolt holes so that i could move the QCTP back for more swing if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_6189.jpeg
    IMG_6189.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6188.jpeg
    IMG_6188.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6187.jpeg
    IMG_6187.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 14
Doh! I'm a dunce...

GsT
Well, at least you have that worked out.

There is some magic trick to having a few precise dowel locations in regards to the multifix style, hence the name, but I disremember all but putting your threading tool perpendicular to the work quickly.

Something like with two or three pins you have the ability to change the angle of the tool holder in 1* increments.

Back