Leather Belt Question Sb10

opsoff1

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a SB 10" Tool Room Lathe (8187ZN, circa 1945) that has the typical leather drive belt - looking to replace the belt or upgrade?? Any suggestions?

I've used an old serpentine belt off a Dodge diesel for the last 6 years. I have a heavy 10 toolroom model. I used an angled splice, about 6" long, glued with ordinary superglue. I think I've had to reglue it twice in that 6 years. It has terrific traction...much better than the old leather belt. It's also quiet, as there's no metal splice plate.
Jim

Hi opsoff1,

Many people re-use old automotive serpentine belts for their lathes. They are basically free.
One other advantage over an endless belt, is that you do NOT have to disassemble the lathe spindle to install/replace.
(Although that's often a good time to inspect the bearings/bushings.)

On my first attempt I did similar to Jim above and tried a scarf joint. Mine was only tapered about two inches (done on a bench sander) and then stitched. The joint, although flat, seemed to be stiffer than the rest of the belt and I was never able to stop the slight "thump" as it went over the pulleys. It was worse with the smaller pulley steps. Also, I ran that one with the flat side against the pulleys and eventually the stitching cord wore thru.

More recently, I tried a simple butt joint based on a recommendation from this site. It has turned out to show no problems, however it's only a few months old, so not many miles on it. The good news is that I've already got another old belt waiting in case I need it. This one I'm running with the belt ribs against the pulleys and the stitches are done in the valleys so the cord is not abrading.

Here's what I did, the belt front (outside)
belt_front.jpg

...and the back:
belt_back.jpg

It was sewn with the two ends tight together, but with the stretch in the cord it now has a slight gap. That does not seem to be a problem. I used a nylon cord:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=32009&cat=2,51553,32009

and a sewing awl like this:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=50700&cat=1,43456,50700

Be sure to release tension on the belt when the lathe is not in use.

-brino

Last edited:
Actually, I didn't do a scarf joint...I cut the belt on a long, flat angle and did an edge joint. The glue surface is pretty small, but it holds well, and is much easier to do.
Jim

Actually, I didn't do a scarf joint...I cut the belt on a long, flat angle and did an edge joint. The glue surface is pretty small, but it holds well, and is much easier to do.
Jim

Ahhh, I see. I never thought of that. Thanks for replying!
It must be tough to clamp though?!!? I guess the fact that you're using instant glue helps....

-brino

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.
I have recently gotten the bug to really go through the lathe and "tune it up" or maybe even do a complete rebuild. I truly love it and want it to run forever.
I had looked at the lathe data section and l found the Drive Belt Length & Widths pdf file - pardon my ignorance - but what I see is that this machine would fall under the 10" Underdrive Cabinet Leg Floor model? Correct?
This is considered a 10L if I read everything correctly. The chart shows a 5/32 thick x 1" wide x 61-1/2" long belt. (Leblond PN PT2202R3)
Sorry for the rookie questions - never rebuilt a lathe and I am just starting to wrap my head around this.

Ahhh, I see. I never thought of that. Thanks for replying!
It must be tough to clamp though?!!? I guess the fact that you're using instant glue helps....

-brino
Yes...I didn't clamp it...just did about an inch at a time with the super glue, holding it with my hands. The whole thing only takes about 15 minutes.
Jim

M a longer piece on this before--Make a wooden guide , tapered sides , to belt
Thickness and width. Using a really sharp wide chisel taper the belt(opposite sides)
Use PLIOBOND GLUE. Clamp between pulleys using wooden pads,wax paper, and
small c-clamps. Believe glue instructions . Last one still silent after 20 yrs.
BLJHB

I pulled the head shaft on my Logan 820 and installed an automotive serpentine belt. It was quite a bit of work, but I have to say that I really liked the result. It should last at least a decade or more.

GG

My 13" still has a cracked dried out leather belt. I have crashed it once, the halfnuts failed to disengage.......the flatbelt acted like a fuse and prevented anything bad from happening. If you are new to the lathe, stay away from serpentine belts untill you know your machine (and yourself) is up to par IMO.

Back