Lets See Your Shop!

I hope that I have done this write. If not I [FONT=&amp]apologize.[/FONT]
These are pictures of the milling machine that I and my students built. There are many objectives that this project addresses. I would normally just purchase a bridgeport for myself, but the project helped me teach the objectives and provide motivation for the students. I made all of the patterns and had them cast at a local foundry. We then machined up all of the parts of the machine. Included is a picture of a copy of a Kurt vise that has been scaled to fit the machine. When the students graduated each of them had a table model milling machine for their efforts.
P1010371.JPGP1010372.JPGP1010373.JPGP1010374.JPG

P1010371.JPG P1010372.JPG P1010373.JPG P1010374.JPG

Kudos Tailwind. Very cool project, and I'm sure the students learned something - and appreciate having something "real" at the end of the class.

Here's my tiny shop - it uses the garage (one car size). The car stays outside! - I build model stationary steam engines and try to make the tools I need.
These pictures show the shop being built - about three years ago.
DoorInsul-2.JPGMy Mini Lathe.JPGWork area completed - North end.jpgWork area completed South end.jpg

davidL

DoorInsul-2.JPG My Mini Lathe.JPG Work area completed - North end.jpg Work area completed South end.jpg

Tailwind
Now you need to start selling the castings as a kit.

You need access to some pretty heavy equipment to build the mill. We used CNC machines to make the parts. It can be done with manual equipment but if you have the equipment to build it there would be little motivation in my mind to make it. My passion is building aircraft. I will use it to make parts for the plane. It is small and when not in use it can be pushed into a corner.

Lathe, Mill, press, foundry, gas welding, arc welding, grinders, rotory table, various tooling.....

Here are at least the lathe and mill photos:

img_0274.jpg img_0276.jpg

Here's some of my toys. Thanks for looking!!
main box main box.JPG
2nd box 2nd box.JPG

Lincoln SP125 Mig Welder sp125.JPG
Lincoln P20 Plasma Cutter P20 Plasma Cutter.JPG
Pieco 16" Rotary Magnetic Surfacing Machine 5HP 3phase 16 surface grinder.JPG
Pieco 6" Specialty Surface Grinder/ sharpener 6sharpener.JPG
20 Ton Hydraulic Press 20 ton press.JPG

Rockwell 3/4 Hp Drill press and Pedestal mount Bench Grinder drillpress_grinder.JPG

I didn't picture my Lincoln 225 arc welder , O2/Acetylene torches, 7.5hp Rotary Phase Converter, 5hp air compressor(modified- was a 3hp) ,250 amp tig welder hi frquency, plastic welder , i constructed a gantry as well.:phew:
My shop grows daily...lol
thanks for looking !!!!
mike

main box.JPG 2nd box.JPG ATLAS TH42 AVATAR.JPG mini lathe.JPG sp125.JPG P20 Plasma Cutter.JPG 16 surface grinder.JPG 6sharpener.JPG 20 ton press.JPG drillpress_grinder.JPG

Last edited:
Ok here we go not quite done moving stuff around but here are some pics.

Lathe area
View attachment 47768

Mill area
View attachment 47769

What happended to the mill. Guess I'll have to put that back together.
View attachment 47770

Bandsaw
View attachment 47774

Drill press
View attachment 47775

Air compressor. The air compressor is in this enclosure because everytime it came on my family upstairs would complain.
It's quiet now. Two inch thick walls and lined with sheet metal for fire resistance.
Ran lines up to the garage for the air.
View attachment 47776

Temperature controls for air compressor. Due to being built in enclosure I had to put cooling in for the air compressor.
View attachment 47777

Polisher and grinder area. Need to curtain this area yet with ventilation because of dust.

View attachment 47779

Hope you enjoyed.
If you have comments or ideas feel free.

Have a great day!

Ed

Back