Lets See Your Shop!

workshop.jpg
It's a bit of a mess, but here's my funspace. Just set up my new lathe (Grizzly G0602).

workshop.jpg

Thanks, here's a close-up of the lathe from right after I set it up. The bench was a freebie (via my girlfriend's family's junk removal business). Just looking at it I had some doubts over its ability to hold the lathe, but through some research and unscientific testing I decided to give it a shot (price was right, anyway). The punched peg-holes on the end do make a convenient spot for storing parts. I have since milled the T-nut for a Phase-II quick change toolpost (AXA/100 size) and installed it.

lathe.jpg

lathe.jpg

Thanks, here's a close-up of the lathe from right after I set it up. The bench was a freebie (via my girlfriend's family's junk removal business). Just looking at it I had some doubts over its ability to hold the lathe, but through some research and unscientific testing I decided to give it a shot (price was right, anyway). The punched peg-holes on the end do make a convenient spot for storing parts.

Very nice. Looks like the bench can hold quite a bit of tooling. So, what is the first scheduled project. We need to see chips flying.

Very nice. Looks like the bench can hold quite a bit of tooling. So, what is the first scheduled project. We need to see chips flying.
The first scheduled project will be learning how to use it! I have been playing with making a straight shank threaded drill chuck arbor for a random 3/8" Jacobs chuck I've had laying around... something that can be installed in the mill without having to raise the head (round column mill... advantageous to not move the head sometimes). I ordered an assortment of round steel rod from Amazon, first attempts weren't great. I think my tool geometry must be off. Threads came out really jagged. Turned portions were dimensionally ok, but not happy with the finish.

After that, maybe a whistle, just for "gits and shiggles"... I have some aluminum tubing from an obnoxiously loud windchime that I was scrapping.

Eventually, when I'm fairly confident in being able to machine something with not such a high chance of screwing up the part, I'm eyeballing some stationary steam engine kits... specifically the PM Research #4/6... Then at some point, a 7.5" gauge locomotive may be in the works.

Still some months from getting back into my house, but here's an advanced look at my shop as it is today. I'm excited about the chance to set it up as an integrated system. I'll find out how much (or little) I know about efficient layout.

Here's the main shop. You can see the new opening that will become a 4' door into the garage. That will make it much easier to move my machines back in when the house is ready. (And any new ones that beg to come home.)
PB091611a.jpg

This is the room where the fire started. The wall between that room and the main shop will be removed, leaving about 7' between the door post and the furnace and hot water tank, which will be on the right. That room will become the wood shop. The table saw, bandsaw, wood lathe and router table will move in there, leaving much more space in the metal shop.
PB091612a.jpg

I still need to collect dimensions for my machines to use in the drawing process for the new layout. Micke already provided numbers from his Storebro lathe. I just need to find dimensions for a Hercus lathe, ZX-25 mill/drill and Victoria U2 horizontal mill. I can get close enough for things like a pedestal grinder and drill press. Once I have all yhat, I can draw up symbols that I can move around the CAD drawing until I get the final layout to print.

PB091611a.jpg PB091612a.jpg

Updated pictures after finally moving the last of my equipment around. I think I am happy where everything is located at this point.

Standing at the man door looking into the welding/fabrication/machining section of the shop.
200g00.jpg

Standing at the man door looking towards the automotive half of the shop with the Ammco 10k pound two-post lift, with my son's new to him 02 Duramax on the lift.
zkhimc.jpg

And finally, standing at the large 20' rollup door looking towards the motorcycle and machining/fabrication portion of the shop. Currently I have the two motorcycle lifts pushed together merely to allow a little more room to walk around them. Normally they are separated by a couple of feet to have a bike on each.
30jsdx5.jpg

In the summer months our Harleys are in the space above but for winter I move them into the garage so my son can park his Jeep in the warm shop. I also usually have a motorcycle or two on the lifts for winter projects but I haven't been able to find any worth purchasing this year. I haven't been able to find one to build over the winter yet, let alone two of them. I will keep looking but right now in my area people are wanting stupid money for their old run down bikes.

200g00.jpg

200g00.jpg

zkhimc.jpg

zkhimc.jpg

30jsdx5.jpg

30jsdx5.jpg

My small 2 car garage.

2 of my tool boxes and my sand blaster stored under my clutter catcher (work bench)
DSCF3058.jpg

Dar Sin 1237GH lathe and HF 20T press
DSCF3060.jpg

Enco mill/drill and other tool box
DSCF3061.jpg

the ever popular 4x6 band saw, and my Vulcan anvil
DSCF3063.jpg

garbage picked drill press (I broke the base, and had to improvise the I beam as a replacement)
DSCF3065.jpg

over view from the drive way
DSCF3068.jpg

I have a Century mig welder, an old Monkey Wards stick welder, air compressor and cherry picker stored in the shed that is only about a foot away from the garage. If any one has any ideas on a better layout, I'm all ears. I would love to maximize space.

DSCF3058.jpg

DSCF3058.jpg

DSCF3060.jpg

DSCF3060.jpg

DSCF3061.jpg

DSCF3061.jpg

DSCF3063.jpg

DSCF3063.jpg

DSCF3065.jpg

DSCF3065.jpg

DSCF3068.jpg

DSCF3068.jpg

I got a new phone and was able to take a nice panoramic picture of my shop. I just got the anti fatigue mats(from Lowes). They are pretty nice. Much better on my legs and it should help keep the paint on the floor from wearing off.

Rick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 118
Back