Lever operated compound/top slide.

Dranreb

Active User
Registered
I was thinking about making an attachment for broaching key-ways and similar jobs, and it occurred to me that a lever operated compound fitted with a QCTP could be quite useful, I had a spare compound assembly so this is what I ended up with.

DSCF2547.JPG

DSCF2544.JPG

The leverage worked out about right, it's effortless to use and seems to work OK so far, I'm thinking that with a number of tool holders set up it might even work like a capstan..

Bernard

DSCF2547.JPG DSCF2544.JPG

Last edited:
Very Cool! I bet you'll get a lot of use out of it. You can be very proud of how nice it turned out. Thank you for the post Bernard.

Thanks Randy, I've been practicing with it today and I think it's ready for paint now...

A couple of pics of the construction details, it all fits onto an Atlas compound without modification.

DSCF2538.JPG

DSCF2536.JPG

DSCF2539.JPG

DSCF2540.JPG

DSCF2542.JPG

DSCF2549.JPG

No plans just SOTP engineering....

Bernard

DSCF2538.JPG DSCF2536.JPG DSCF2539.JPG DSCF2540.JPG DSCF2542.JPG DSCF2549.JPG

No plans just SOTP engineering....

Bernard

:roflmao: That is how do all my designing as well. Sometimes not so well. Thank you for the upto date detail. Good stuff.

Neat job Bernard,
What are you using for indexing your chuck?

cheers Phil

Neat job Bernard,
What are you using for indexing your chuck?

cheers Phil

Hi Phil, for test purposes I was just using the 60 built in bull gear holes that are standard on most Atlas lathes.

Right now I'm attempting to make a 200 division direct reading cross slide dial, for that I have made an ally 'arbor plug' to hold a borrowed Bridgeport dial in the back end of the spindle. This set up isn't being very accurate so far, the marks being too small for the tip to lock into, more thinking needed..a simple mark to line up with will most likely be the easiest, KISS rule applies here I think

DSCF2551.JPG

DSCF2552.JPG

Bernard

DSCF2551.JPG DSCF2552.JPG

Well guys, I used the thing to make a gear today!

Way beyond what I ever expected to achieve, can't help it I have to admit to feeling a tiny bit chuffed with the end result!

DSCF2716.JPG

Bernard

DSCF2716.JPG

Nice Job! It's a nice feeling to make things out of tools that you made...:))

Nice Job! It's a nice feeling to make things out of tools that you made...:))

It sure is Marcel :biggrin:, but my first try in ally wasn't too pretty because the compound tended to rotate under pressure, there where already a couple of convenient holes in the cross slide that I used to make stiffener, this fixed that problem and the second try was much better.

DSCF2721.JPG

To cut this one took under half an hour, used a parting tool sideways for roughing, then finished with shaped tool 2 mins per tooth.

DSCF2720.JPG

Stiffener

DSCF2722.JPG

Cutting the final steel gear took at least three times as long, but after watching videos of gear cutting under power on a lathe using a milling attachment that's probably quite a good time, and no fear of something going wrong and wrecking the piece.

And cheap (free!)

DSCF2720.JPG DSCF2721.JPG DSCF2722.JPG

Great job Bernard what I dont get is how do you lock the spindle in place for each cut

Back