little machine shop tailstock drill chuck key?

Look on the side of your chuck. thay usley have the chuck size,taper, and key code. If that fales take it to home depot or lowes thay have a verity of chuck keys in the tool department. You should find one that fits.

I'll check again but I didn't see anything other than the bit size on the chuck. I've tried lowes, home depot, menards, and sears. All the keys I could find were too small. Maybe I'll try to find a local tool shop like fastenal. If not I guess I'll end up throwing out a perfectly good chuck.

Don't throw it out, you will find a key eventually.

Harbor or freight sells a chuck like that on a morse taper (it's usually on the wall by the drill bits in the stores in my area). Go check it out and see if the key fits yours, if so you may see some documentation telling you what size it is.

I have two of those chucks on different machines. I can take measurements of the key if you want.

Chris

I found a chart for common sizes of chuck keys here: http://www.icscuttingtools.com/catalog/page_132.pdf, It's a pdf. Has some good info on chuck keys.

Another Chuck (no smart-a** comments, please)

Added: I also e-mailed Jacobs to see if they have a chart that defines key sized by their part #. I'll post it if they do.

Last edited:
I found a chart for common sizes of chuck keys here: http://www.icscuttingtools.com/catalog/page_132.pdf, It's a pdf. Has some good info on chuck keys.

Another Chuck (no smart-a** comments, please)

Added: I also e-mailed Jacobs to see if they have a chart that defines key sized by their part #. I'll post it if they do.

Thank you. This may allow me to finally get a key for my 3/4" chuck. Operating it with a screwdriver and a drill bit is getting old.

Got a reply from Jacobs. They sent me a .tiff image of a catalog page with chuck key part numbers. It includes pilot sizes and reference to what series/size chucks they go to. The sender also gave me permission to share the info. I converted it to a .pdf.Again, this is for Jacobs, but a replacement key may have reference to which Jacobs chuck it will fit. HTH.

View attachment Jacobs Keys & Features.pdf

Chuck

Back