LMS mini-mill owners

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a LMS fixed column mini mill that has been sitting around for the last few months collecting dust.

It has been tuned, has the air spring mod, a 3" vise, R8 collets, a drill chuck w/arbor, and GS30 glass scales on the X and Y axis.

A 'friend' has been asking about it, and offered me $400 for everything.

Before I pop him in the mouth, I thought I'd ask you guys if my little mill is really only worth $400. Seems a bit low to me, but after reading the stories here about people 'stealing' some great deal from someone, maybe I'm wrong. Looking for a little perspective.

Thanks,
Bill

I have the same mill, if yours is the solid column Hi-Torque model 3960. I have just added a tach and will be getting the airspring. I have the feedscrew conversion kits but haven't installed them yet. Will be adding remote DRO scales, buying them from David on this forum.

Oh, I keep mine covered with a plastic bag to keep the dust off.

You didn't mention how old or how worn your mill is. If you checked todays prices on your equipment, you are basically being offered about half the price of a new mill without any tooling. I guess a lot depends on how much value it has for you and how badly you need the money.

Personally, I think a milling machine is a bit of a status symbol.:thumbzup:

Same mill. Used mine for 5 months. Perfect shape.

I just figured that half price for everything is about $700.

Just don't need a second mill. But I'm not about to just give it away. Guess I could just take the column off and stuff the thing under a bench.

Bill

I've got one with and the mods/DROs and I wouldn't sell it for $1K, unless my mortgage was past due and the kid's hadn't eaten for a week. The wife could go two weeks....

I've got one with and the mods/DROs and I wouldn't sell it for $1K, unless my mortgage was past due and the kid's hadn't eaten for a week. The wife could go two weeks....

Yea, I'm coming to pretty much the same conclusion. Recently saw one on ebay that the current bidding was over $700. And it doesn't have what mine or yours has.

I think I will either strip the glass scales off, or leave them on and put a $200 2-axis display on it and use it for a small precision x-y drilling station.

Only reason I was considering selling it was I need the room to put the small Griz 6x12 surface grinder. But I'll figure something out. :))

Bill

:roflmao:
In that case you can mill some «I Love Justin Bieber» (or whoever is "trendy" today) necklace pendants and send kids to sell them near schools!

I think $400 is reasonable for a HF mini mill with little or no tooling in similar condition to yours. With the extras you have on, $700 seems pretty reasonable to me. The problem is always that you start getting into the price range of bigger round column mills and even small knee mills (depending on location of course) once you go above $700 and start approaching $1000, so people looking for any mill will instinctively compare the work envelope of your mill vs. the others they've seen. That said, the value of anything depends on what you're willing to sell it for (alot, considering that you don't seem to need the money or space desperately) and what someone is willing to buy it for :)

There are some significant differences between a HF mini-mill and a LMS 3960. I don't disagree with your thinking with regards to a HF.

Bill

If I were you I would keep it and convert it to CNC. I didn't realize how much I needed a cnc I'll till I converted mine. :thinking:

I have a HF mini mill that I converted to 2 axix CNC using CNCfusion ,Automation Technologies , Smooth stepper, and Mach3 with Mill wizard. Last time I checked I was over $1500.

Back