Logan 1825 apron question

Tuba Dave

Registered
Registered
I have disassembled the apron to clean and adjust the clutch mechanism, which currently does not work. It looks like one of the previous owners used a black adhesive (maybe pitch?) to attach the clutch "housing" as it is oozing from what looks to be screw holes. Whatever, it works and I don't want to tackle right that now. IDK is that original??

However, the same crap was used to fill in the "petcock set screw" hole that the manual claims will drip to indicate the apron is fully oiled.

What is a "petcock set screw" and can I just use a regular set screw there? I assume you remove the set screw, oil up the apron until it drips out that hole, then replace the set screw.

I really like this lathe, I am coming from a 1940's Craftsman/Atlas 12" and this thing is much better. While I don't think it was used hard, it certainly has missed a few decades of maintenance.

Thanks

Petcock set screws are exceedingly rare and have been commanding very high prices of late.
I've seen only two in a long life
:)

can I just use a regular set screw there? I assume you remove the set screw, oil up the apron until it drips out that hole, then replace the set screw.
Yes. I think my 820, old flat belt vs. the newer 1820 vee belt, only has a plug.

I have disassembled the apron to clean and adjust the clutch mechanism, which currently does not work. It looks like one of the previous owners used a black adhesive (maybe pitch?) to attach the clutch "housing" as it is oozing from what looks to be screw holes. Whatever, it works and I don't want to tackle right that now. IDK is that original??

However, the same crap was used to fill in the "petcock set screw" hole that the manual claims will drip to indicate the apron is fully oiled.

What is a "petcock set screw" and can I just use a regular set screw there? I assume you remove the set screw, oil up the apron until it drips out that hole, then replace the set screw.

I really like this lathe, I am coming from a 1940's Craftsman/Atlas 12" and this thing is much better. While I don't think it was used hard, it certainly has missed a few decades of maintenance.

Thanks
Oh, and welcome to the forum. If you are interested in some additional information, look at the recent "Need info" thread.

Back