Logan 200??? Or ???

These old machines force you to learn about the machine as much as machining, if you enjoy that part of the challenge, it's a no brainer. Just be aware that while taking it on can be rewarding, it will likely be frustrating at times too. But lots of resources these days, you are not alone.

My first personal lathe was a basket-case Logan 200, but all the effort to fix and repair, and learning the machine, was well worth it for me.

I got a Craftsman version of the Atlas 618 a couple of years ago. I stripped it down got new parts, and old parts, removed all the rust, and painted it and put it on a very nice piece of wood attached to the metal frame it came with, a school lathe. I really enjoyed working on it, but it was a little disappointing when trying to use it. Not really the lathes problem, but more me.

LATHE HEAD 001.JPG LATHE HEAD 004.JPG 214 LATHE 002.JPG 214 LATHE 003.JPG

To answer the peg leg question, I have copies of four Wards catalogs between 1941 and 1950. Peg legs are shown on the Logan branded models if they shipped with drip pan and cast iron legs. And not shown on the bench models. The cabinet model is indeterminate as you can't see behind it, and the text no where mentions the peg legs anyway. The Wards models shown on drip pan and legs do not show a peg leg. And as previously mentioned, do not show a belt cover. However, there would be nothing stopping you from adding the Logan peg leg.

Fortunately, the one that you are looking at has ball bearings. In 1941, Wards offered a sleeve bearing model without power cross feed. It isn't mentioned in 1943 and later. So is probably pretty rare.

The Craftsman 101.21400 that you rebuilt looks very nice. However, the motor is on backwards. It should be up under the countershaft bracket, a somewhat more stable location. The left (visible) legs are really too small. Should probably be about 2 x 3 instead of what looks like 1 x 1. That would stiffen it up a bit. Link belts are generally a bad idea except in an emergency (which is what they were made for). And finally, the lathe will work much better with either a 4-way turret tool holder or a QCTP. The lantern is just too flexible.

To answer the peg leg question, I have copies of four Wards catalogs between 1941 and 1950. Peg legs are shown on the Logan branded models if they shipped with drip pan and cast iron legs. And not shown on the bench models. The cabinet model is indeterminate as you can't see behind it, and the text no where mentions the peg legs anyway. The Wards models shown on drip pan and legs do not show a peg leg. And as previously mentioned, do not show a belt cover. However, there would be nothing stopping you from adding the Logan peg leg.

Fortunately, the one that you are looking at has ball bearings. In 1941, Wards offered a sleeve bearing model without power cross feed. It isn't mentioned in 1943 and later. So is probably pretty rare.

The Craftsman 101.21400 that you rebuilt looks very nice. However, the motor is on backwards. It should be up under the countershaft bracket, a somewhat more stable location. The left (visible) legs are really too small. Should probably be about 2 x 3 instead of what looks like 1 x 1. That would stiffen it up a bit. Link belts are generally a bad idea except in an emergency (which is what they were made for). And finally, the lathe will work much better with either a 4-way turret tool holder or a QCTP. The lantern is just too flexible.
Thank you for that info. If I read the chart correctly the serial number 5876 was a 1943 model. Good info on the ball bearings! I enjoyed working on the 214 and making it "pretty" again. The lathe came from a school in Broward County and was setup on the metal frame as shown, except for the wood base. Many of these 214's I read about used the link belts claiming they gave better grip and of course easy of changing them. I knew as I was reworking the 214 I would not keep it for long. I did get a QCTP for it and it went with the lathe when it was sold. That was a good project.

I got an email after church tonight. The man accepted my offer of $300. Now we have to setup a pickup day and time. It is a 3 1/2 hour trip one way. Good time to listen to music.:grin big:

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it home yesterday and I now have it taken apart for cleaning and inspection. The ways look really good and everything seems to move well. Once I get all the crud out of the way and everything lubed it should be very smooth, please, please, please. It took some creativity to get it out of my truck. I thought for awhile I would need to start a mobile machine shop.

I bought my Logan pretty cheap. It had gears for the almost the slowest feed.... Which if I never wanted to threading would be appropriate. I bought a set of gears on ebay for $200 and the Lath cost me $500. I have a lot of elbow grease in the lathe but mot much else past the $700 total.

I agree with what others have said, the asking price needs to reflect the fact that the gears are missing.

You did good! I've blown $300 on way worse purchases. The 200 is a kinda basic lathe, but can be a very sweet little machine when set up right. Get it set up and cleaned up and you should be good.

Back