Logan threading dial

phubbman

Registered
Registered
Both of my brothers recently picked up a Logan 10” lathe, essentially model 200’s.

Neither machine came with a threading dial, so I offered to make two copies of the one on my Montgomery Ward / Logan lathe.

1st order of business was checking my stash of small gears. As it turns out, a 16 tooth, 24 pitch spur gear is a spot on match for the stock gear on my machine - I had two of them.

Next up, it was easy enough to measure my existing threading dial and raiding the metal scrap drawer to see what I had to work with. Some mystery steel 1-1/8” rod and a bit of 3/4” square stock would do the trick. I also had some salvaged bronze engine valve guides to use as bushings, and some 5/16” drill rod for the shafts.

Here is the progress to date.

IMG_8124.jpegIMG_8128.jpegIMG_8127.jpeg
I am now working on the dials themselves and need to silver solder the two pieces of the main body together. The part that the bolt passes through is at a 3 degree cant from the dial/shaft/gear housing so that the gear teeth mesh well with the lead screw.

More later, but I’m pleased with how it’s coming along.

A bit more progress. I drilled and tapped the gear hubs for the set screws (#6 x 32tpi). Then I silver soldered the two pieces of the body together and cleaned that up (I’m not tidy at silver soldering or brazing). Then I tweaked the O.D. Of the bushings, cut them to length, and pressed them in.

I need to take a pic or two of fixing the dial to the shaft and scribing the marks on the dial.

IMG_8130.jpegIMG_8129.jpegIMG_8133.jpegIMG_8132.jpeg

All that’s left is to mill out clearance in the gear “housing” so the gear can actually engage the lead screw, stamp a “1” and “2” on the dial, scribe the dial reference mark on the ring that surrounds the dial, and paint the main part.

Wow...very cool! I would have wimped out and bought one from Logan!

Sure, but the pair of them would have been north of five hundred bucks. A fair price, but beyond my hobbiest budget. Used ones are about a hundred or so, but I thought it would be fun to whittle away at the scrap bin and parts stash to make them myself.
and it was.
I‘ve finished one and will finish the other in the next day or two. I’ll take some new pics to wrap up this thread.

Outstanding!

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back