Long Chang LC-30A mill resto

Actually the epoxy has a hard time sticking to cast iron that has been oiled. It will usually stick to one side only and peel off the other easily.

I watched the Stefan Gotteswinter video and I'm bit perplexed.
What I took away from the video is that he raised the column up, placed four pieces of annealed copper wire in the corners, squeezed in metal epoxy to fill the gap and then tightened down the column till he achieved "perfect" tram.
I assume that the copper wire was squeezed and became the 'shims'.

I don't know if anyone else has watched the video and can confirm my impressions.
That is kinda sorta. The annealed copper is compressible so you could tighten the tram where you wanted, as opposed to using shims where you have to pull the column up to install new shims. His method appeals to me because every time I've done the "you have to pull it to shim it" process there is a lot of hunt and peck involved. It's been a while since I watched the vid, but I would want to "dry test" the process by just using the copper wire without the epoxy and get a feel for how it goes. The reason he uses the special epoxy is to spread contact out to the whole column base and to make a non compressible base after the epoxy sets. I think Rick Sparber mentioned the effect of torque on the column base bolt too.

Would rented 6' x 6' scaffolding on wheels (and a chain hoist) work?

That could work depending on how tall they are. I have barely 8’ headroom in my garage and there’s a 3-ply, 2x12 beam running down the centre which cuts the headroom down to about 7’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, that might be tight. I have a 1-ton — correction, 1/2-ton — Princess Auto chain fall I used to set up my shaper on its stand and by the time you figure the chain fall, a hook, a link to hang the fall, and the shortest strap possible it still makes for a long setup. Not sure how tall the LC will end up, but engine hoist may be the best for that limited height.

-frank

Last edited:
That could work depending on how tall they are. I have barely 8’ headroom in my garage and there’s a 3-ply, 2x12 beam running down the centre which cuts the headroom down to about 7’.

As mentioned before, a 2 ton engine hoist is your friend. I can assure you my space is closer than yours and I'm able to work the hoist around in there, it just takes some thinking ahead and a bit of man-handling the empty hoist to get into position for lifting. The 2 ton is nice because even at full extension you still are rated at 500lbs, although it can get squirrelly if you let the hanging bits start swinging. Engine hoists are kind of clunky to have around, so used ones are not too hard to acquire, and they aren't all that expensive new.

It seems like most people just fold them up for storage which is still a pretty good size chunk of steel. If instead you take the time to disassemble them when not needed, they really don't take up that much room.

A lot of rental places have engine hoists.

I don't know about your machine DavidR8 but mine has a hollow spot in the head between column and the spindle that's made as a lift point for the machine as a whole. Drop a chain with a bolted loop in it down through the top and when it clears underside of the head stick a pipe through the loop and Bob's your uncle. Just balance with the table X & Y.

I’m just out in the shop taking some measurements.
I have 95” of overall height.
It’s 15” from the bottom of the base to the underside of the head when the head is cranked all the way down.
The mill is 46” tall at the top of the column.
The stand is 29” tall so I don’t see a way to get it onto the stand unless I use a hoist because I won’t have enough headroom for the chainfall etc.

@C-Bag yes there’s a place nearby that rents hoists. That’s my best best.
I’m pretty sure my machine has the same hollow spot. There’s a cover on the bottom of the head. I haven’t pulled the pulleys yet so I can’t pull the lower part of the top off and see inside.

On the plus side, the large nut that locks down the pulley onto the spindle just popped right off.
Does anyone know if this is a steel or aluminum pulley? Methinks aluminum but it looks a bit like steel.
spindle nut.jpg

Last edited:
Would rented 6' x 6' scaffolding on wheels (and a chain hoist) work?
I have a pile of 48.3 mm scaffolding pipe and a big box of assorted clamps. Very handy for knocking up a temporary gantry for a hoist among other things. Cheap to source second hand and new clamps are only a few dollars.

Back