Looking at 2 lathes

Thank you for the links.

I'm sure if you buy the small bore lathe , it will not be enough. Go big then you can turn longer items up to the 1 1/2" bore. You won't be sorry.

I want to thank everybody for their input, and taking the time to help me out. I have changed my order with Matt from a 1030, to a PM1228VF LB. It's a big expenditure for me, but the advice here, and looking at a 1" socket at home vs a 1 1/2" socket pushed me over. Thanks again.

Good choice on the 1228 over the 1030. 12x28 with an 1.5" bore - that is a very useful size. It even goes down to 50rpm - slower would be better, but that is better than most small machines. It will be very rare that you will find anything that the 1228 is too big to handle comfortably - that the 1030 would do better. Even the size on the bench is nearly the same. Even when you get a larger machine down the road - the 1228 will always be a handy size.

Thank you, I'm not sure I could fit a bigger lathe in my 2 car garage, and still get my closet doors open. The boundary to the front of my work space is the wife's clothes line, not a line I wish to cross at this time with the money I'm spending.LOL

It will be a little bit of a wait for the PM1228, and I'm looking at leveling feet. Is there one that is preferred that I should get? I'm also having a discussion with myself about plain steel feet, or with a rubber pad. Rubber pad may compress over time causing leveling issues, or the plain steel might cause vibration issues. Any thoughts, thank you

It will be a little bit of a wait for the PM1228, and I'm looking at leveling feet. Is there one that is preferred that I should get? I'm also having a discussion with myself about plain steel feet, or with a rubber pad. Rubber pad may compress over time causing leveling issues, or the plain steel might cause vibration issues. Any thoughts, thank you

I would recommend solid metal feet, I have used both, but you will not get any settling with the metal. I do not think you will have any issues with vibration, not going to be putting on large chucks, but because it is a lightweight it will have less dampening. I would say the PM1228 is a great choice for the size and price, nice set of features yet still small enough if you are tight on space.

Back