Looking at a Vevor Lathe Have Questions

Micro Mark has a few nice machines, but prices are high
I would be cautious about Bolton and Shop Fox also
The low price on some of these machines is quickly forgotten when major problems arise
Ask yourself what would you do if the motor went out after a couple months of use
Believe me, it happens all too often
If I were looking at Shop Fox I would buy it from Grizzly as the brand belongs to them. My wife has a Shop Fox wood lathe and it is a nice piece of equipment backed by Grizzly.

Thanks for the info i really appreciate it.
What dos everyone think about this one?
https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-10-x-22-benchtop-metal-lathe-with-dro/g0602z
That isn't a bad machine, you might look at this one also, https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1022v-pm-1030v/ is is virtually the same machine, a little bit more money which pays for a 10 TPI vs 12 TPI lead screws, a power cross feed, quick change tool post, Quick Change Spindle Mount and a better warranty.

for me the decision for a starter lathe came down to the about $1000 for a mini lathe on steroids (MX-600A) or jump up to the $3k level for a PM/Grizzly, i went the cheaper path because i like to tear them apart and remake them better and i would be more hesitant on the more expensive equipment. you are in a different position so your decision may be different.
So you have the Vevor? I was looking at one of those for about 1200. What hacks need to be done to the Vevor to make it acceptable?

Micro Mark has a few nice machines, but prices are high
I would be cautious about Bolton and Shop Fox also
The low price on some of these machines is quickly forgotten when major problems arise
Ask yourself what would you do if the motor went out after a couple months of use
Believe me, it happens all too often
You are dead on about Bolton. I bought a gently used zx45a mill a couple years back cause it was cheap. Well there were reasons for it being cheap,lol

So you have the Vevor? I was looking at one of those for about 1200. What hacks need to be done to the Vevor to make it acceptable?
Not a vevor but vevor sells it also, you can read all about my adventures in the link I posted back k in response #13 you can find them much cheaper with more accessory on ebay read the thread I covered the good the bad and the ugly, not really much ugliness.

That isn't a bad machine, you might look at this one also, https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1022v-pm-1030v/ is is virtually the same machine, a little bit more money which pays for a 10 TPI vs 12 TPI lead screws, a power cross feed, quick change tool post, Quick Change Spindle Mount and a better warranty.
I agree with most of what you are saying except the grizzly in that link is not in the same league with the PM 1022v or 1030v for close to the same $. The PM 10XXv is the next step up from the mini on steroids like the mx-600A which is a step up from the 7x10/12/14/16. IMO

I look at that one in October
I purchased a 8.3 x 14 from Wal-Mart for under $600.00

Dave
I looked at those but my neighbor loaned me his HF 7x10 and the 10 inch center to center was very constraining for me, but the price point is very nice and you get a lot for the money.

What type of gun smithing are you planning to do on this lathe? Barrel work will you need more than 29” ? Tail support out the back side of the spindle?

How deep is the spindle?
Spindle is about 12-13", best I could eyeball it without pulling the chuck. My spindle is actually 26mm, but the specs say 25mm. It fits a 1" rod easily. To get the 22" with tailstock support, you'd likely have to use a dead center, my live center eats up a whole lot of room.

I bought my G0602/G0752Z lathe used so not complaining. It can do serviceable work. The DRO on the G0752Z was only 0.001". (That's 0.002" on diameter.) I ended up replacing the DRO entirely, as I found it tough to hit diameters with the accuracy I desired. I used 1um glass scales for the replacement. No, I can't hit single microns, but I can usually get to within a few tenths (0.0002") for critical things. For the rest of the stuff, I ignore a digit or two.

Back