Looking for a mentor around Charlotte

axa88

Registered
Registered
Hi. Ive recently picked up machining again after some years away from my machines.
I recently ordered a new PM 932 and 12x36 and waiting for delivery end of year.
Im currently focusing on custom motorcycle building, so while i know my way around a lathe pretty well, im a **** TIG welder, and milling is entirely new to me.
Id appreciate learning from someone who could guide me as Im looking to acquire just about everything else needed to start.
And it would be great to learn from someone who has been doing this sort of work/hobby for a while, so on and so fourth...

Id be open to temporary or continuing involvement, really whatever we can make of it.
An electrical engineer by degree, but an early retired firmware/software engineer by trade, id be happy to present that sort of knowledge in exchange.

As title reads im around Charlotte but have the time to travel a bit.
Thanks for reading this.

Well if you asked this 2 years ago I could have helped you. I moved up from Charlotte to here in 2019.

I am an amateur living near Gastonia but would be happy to help.

Thanks Canus, I suppose ill be sending you a PM at some point... but i have one immediate question... where do you get stock around here?
First thing i need is a stand for the mill, looking to build something from square tube but the local supplier wont even bother with the little guy and the others seem to have steep prices, might as well buy online...

Thanks Canus, I suppose ill be sending you a PM at some point... but i have one immediate question... where do you get stock around here?
First thing i need is a stand for the mill, looking to build something from square tube but the local supplier wont even bother with the little guy and the others seem to have steep prices, might as well buy online...
Pro tip, make friends with your local fabricator and tack your order on with theirs.
Actually more of an amateur tip but it might work....

John

Pro tip, make friends with your local fabricator and tack your order on with theirs.
Actually more of an amateur tip but it might work....

John
Funny you mention this. When I was down in Florida considering a move, I visited some motorcycle fabrication shops, to see what's what and who's who.

It seemed to me guys doing this for money have no time or patience to make friends. They are too busy I guess making money. I think they all thought I was either looking for a job or to waste their time otherwise as they didn't see the benefit to them. And frankly I can sympathize as I can't really see what I'd be bringing to the table as a near beginner.

Last edited:
Howard Steel with deal with you. Prices are not bad. You have to buy full lengths of tubing and have a way to pick them up. I think they will cut them for a small charge.
There is a Metal Supermarket up at 77 exit 16 or 18 but I have not dealt with them recently.
Robert

I use to get lots of drops from metal supermarkets up there on Sunset rd. Manager was a great guy.I dug throw their scrap bins.

Back