VN Looking For Dimension Of Vn "c" And Hardinge "5v" Collets

So, what would be the largest possible end mill size that could fit in a VN C collet, of someone where to make a collet? For instance, could you run a 3/4" or 1" end mill? ??

I have a Van Norman 16 mill, (VN "C" collets-but many are Hardinge 5V) and the largest collet that came with it holds a 3/4 inch shank-so it will certainly take a 3/4" end mill.
Not sure if they make end mills with the shank smaller than the end mill.
Hope this helps.
Bob

Yes, thanks... Iam going down to look at a VN 12 next week. Has collets up to 1/2" , which is OK, but I rather like working flat plate like surfaces with larger cutters - say 3/4" or 1" end mills, rather than 1/2 or less - which I can do with an R8 collet in my flimsy little Grizzly mill. Looking forward to exploring the fine art of horizontal milling also!

Sounds great!!
Please keep us posted on your find. If she is operable, overall condition and what they are asking.
I'm trying to figure out what to price my VN12 at. Entirely different market, but....

Daryl
MN

For larger end mills, you are better off using an end-mill holder that holds the end mill with set screws, rather than friction. Tool4Cheap (IIRC) used to have a set that went up to either 1" or 1-1/4". Unfortunately, I don't think he carries them any more.
8-pc-5v-c-end-mill-holder-set-for-van-norman-mill.jpg

Cal

I wasn't aware that Tools4Cheap ever made this available.
I wonder if anyone will pick up the line?
Volume is evidently a problem.
If someone does pick her up, then the prices will likely increase to cover the investment.

Daryl
MN

Hardinge is the only commercial manufacturer for anything in the 5V / VN C taper line. The market is limited, collets seem to move fairly quickly on eBay, usually around the $35 mark. There was a 3/4" shell mill arbor that didn't sell at $50 a little while back. A 12" long, 1" OD horizontal arbor showed up on eBay about a month ago, priced at $200 it lasted less than an hour.

I have taken the approach to just make my own stuff. Right now I am cutting 2 face mill arbors, 1 with a 3/4" arbor, and the other with a 1" arbor. Next is a 1" end mill holder. With the exception of a few collets, I pretty much have everything that I need, and it only took a few months to collect everything.

Jason

Cal, and all,

Thanks, I didn't think about an end mill holder- should have, but didn't come to mind. I've only used R-8"collets so stuck in that mind set.

Are any aft market VN 5v end mill holders available anywhere?? I suppose I should go to the Hardinge site and look around. Did that the other day for straight up 5v collets and saw they were $250 a piece- for each ONE! To steep to buy many thats for sure. Once I acquire a machine I'll be able to focus in on what needs to be added.

BTW, just for info, on the west coast in the last month four VN 12's have been sold and/or advertised in various states of repair.

price spread from highest to lowest is:

-$1800 VN 12 asking price with overhead horizontal arm and 6 old collets, one arbor,
- $1000 VN 12 or maybe a 22 (don't remember). With two closets full of tooling (this was probably the machine of a lifetime because of the tooling - I couldn't get there in time and it sold the day after I called)
- $ 1500 VN 12, no overhead arm, a few collets, power feed didn't work, nice looking machine however, noise in one gear
- $ 680 VN 12, no overarm, a few cutters, sitting outside in the dust and rain
-$2000 VN 28, overarm and cutters, surplused off an AF base and now for sale by an owner who doesn't have sufficient power to run it.

Back