Low cost slim glass scale

"An Electronic Lead Screw Controller using a Teensy 4.1" is the name of the thread.

Regarding the slim glass scales:
but where is the fun in that, you are not a true HM until you have ordered 5 of these, tried to cut 4 and failed, then settled for the 5th as is.

Ha ha, what I failed to mention is that I bought a 5um magnetic scale, switched out for a 1um magnetic, ordered a 1um glass scale from Ditron, waited while they specially prepared it...then they said here it is, but it was a huge 5um glass scale...completely not what I wanted. Now I have a 1um slim glass scale on order...too soon to tell, too late to back out.

So here's the fun, after all. :)

Ha ha, what I failed to mention is that I bought a 5um magnetic scale, switched out for a 1um magnetic, ordered a 1um glass scale from Ditron, waited while they specially prepared it...then they said here it is, but it was a huge 5um glass scale...completely not what I wanted. Now I have a 1um slim glass scale on order...too soon to tell, too late to back out.

It's not like I got it right the first time either. I misunderstood the measurements and one scale was too short, and the other (cross slide) just wouldn't fit no matter what I tried. Had to order a slim scale for the cross slide. Fortunately these were cheapies, so I chalked it up to experience.

Second time around was successful, I just ordered about 20-30mm longer than needed and trimmed to length. I kept the unused scales, maybe I can find a use for them. Still, at the total price I paid, I came out ahead.

Now that's more like it, someone give him the award of being a true HM lol

Last edited:
It's not like I got it right the first time either. I misunderstood the measurements and one scale was too short, and the other (cross slide) just wouldn't fit no matter what I tried. Had to order a slim scale for the cross slide. Fortunately these were cheapies, so I chalked it up to experience.

Second time around was successful, I just ordered about 20-30mm longer than needed and trimmed to length. I kept the unused scales, maybe I can find a use for them. Still, at the total price I paid, I came out ahead.
yea i'm with you, Vevor was having a sale, so I got all the sizes i thought i would need then found out that for the x axis on my mini mill the size of the scale was not optimal same for the quill axis. then i bought a mini lathe and can use some of the cheap scales on it (the cross slide is too tight so bought a slim one for that). looks like i may have 1 left over but all part of the fun.

I'm waiting for the SINO KA200 glass scale, which has a basic cross section of 16mm x 16mm with 1um resolution. This is just what I have been looking for. Keep hope alive, folks.

I'm waiting for the SINO KA200 glass scale, which has a basic cross section of 16mm x 16mm with 1um resolution. This is just what I have been looking for. Keep hope alive, folks.

yes the KA200s are smaller and i was looking at them when i found these but they are like 3X the cost, and that is not the end of the world but if you do not need that form factor why pay for it?
this way i can play with more stuff before the CFO raises an eyebrow.

I want this 1um glass scale for the cross slide on the Takisawa, that has a travel of about 9". I had magnetic scales, but I could not calibrate them reliably and got disenchanted with mag scales. The only place I wanted this size and resolution was for the cross scale, of course.

That's the good thing about glass scales, they are dead on, or they are NFG from the beginning. Just have to keep swarf out of them.

For giggles I have 1um scales on Z and X. Of course I can't hold 1um on them, the locking shifts things about, but it's possible to hold 0.0001" with a extreme care. That's more than good enough for me. Most of the time I'm pleased to be within a few thousandths. You can always ignore the resolution, but it's hard to add it back, if you don't have it.
I want this 1um glass scale for the cross slide on the Takisawa, that has a travel of about 9". I had magnetic scales, but I could not calibrate them reliably and got disenchanted with mag scales. The only place I wanted this size and resolution was for the cross scale, of course.

Back