Lyon Air Museum and A 70' long Band of steel.

Eddyde

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
On quick, 4 day, trip to Orange County California, My wife discovered a cool aircraft and car museum.
She didn't know about, despite being from the area, but she caught a glimpse of it when we picked up our car rental at the airport. We went back a couple of days later to check it out.
Lyon Air Museum  - 1 (5).jpeg
Lyon Air Museum  - 1.jpeg
Lyon Air Museum  - 1 (2).jpeg
Lyon Air Museum  - 1 (3).jpeg

Lyon Air Museum  - 1 (1).jpeg

Lyon Air Museum  - 1 (4).jpeg

Lyon Air Museum  - 1 (7).jpeg
It is not a huge museum but the collection is very well curated and maintained (Most of the aircraft can still fly). It would be great stop for the air/car buff if you're ever in the area. It's located at John Wayne/Santa Ana Airport, Orange County California.

We also made it up to LA to see Richard Serra's Band, a monumental sculpture of solid steel.
Band - 1.jpeg
Band - 1 (3).jpeg
Band - 1 (1).jpeg
Band - 1 (2).jpeg
Band is 70' long 12'9" high and 2" thick, Cor-ten Steel. The pieces are just resting on the floor and butted together, no welds or fasteners are used, yet the seams are in near perfect alignment. Walking in and around it can give a slight feeling of vertigo. It its by far the most technically extreme piece of modern art I've ever seen. It is at LACMA in Los Angeles California.

Then on the way home, we flew over Baltimore and go a jet-eye view of Harbor and the Francis Scott Key Bridge.
FSK Bridge - 1.jpeg
FSK Bridge - 1 (1).jpeg
Thanks for Looking.

How long has the museum been there? I used to fly in and out of John Wayne airport on an almost weekly basis for over a year. I never saw the museum, and in fact never knew it was there.

How long has the museum been there? I used to fly in and out of John Wayne airport on an almost weekly basis for over a year. I never saw the museum, and in fact never knew it was there.
Apparently it opened in 2009. My wife and I have flown in and out of John Wayne at least a couple of dozen times since then, and she only noticed it this trip. Thankfully, she's both an aviation and a WWII buff, otherwise she might have remained silent.

That would explain why I never saw the museum. My last trip there for business was in 2006.

These days I avoid flying whenever possible. I was either in the air or on the road 50 weeks a year. I got so tired of airports and rental cars I don’t care if I ever see either again.

In retrospect I guess I’m a bit of a slow learner. Since I retired we’ve put nearly 200,000 miles on our motor homes traveling across North America with our dogs. We already have more trips planned for this year. Unfortunately now it’s just the wife and I. Our dogs passed last year and we’re still debating on whether or not to replace them.

Last edited:
Must be spring in Nebraska, the Tornado waning sirens are going off here right now.
I also flew, a lot, for business. Got to hating airports and cattle car airlines. John Wayne was my preferred airport in that area. LAX was last on the list! LA Ontario was good if I was in the area.

Your preference for airports in that area are the same as mine. Originally I had to fly in and out of LAX as that was the company policy. Later we were able to pick the airport closest to our destination.

John Wayne and Ontario were much better options

I went to Planes of Fame in Chino last year, but I didn't know about this one.

Back