Machinable Non Compressible Insultator

Don't know what they are actually made of, but could you use an old hockey puck - should be cheap / plentiful and I've heard easy to work with??

Bakelite or phenolic will work just fine. I also use the G10 boards at 0.125" thick. Very dense and heavy. I use the scraps for shims under heavy machinery and even as separators between the ground/concrete and wood pillars to stop water wicking up the wood.
Pierre

I had that mica rod which on the consul of HM feedback I decided not to use on a project.
Maybe 3inch round. Maybe 36inch long.
If interested I can confirm next week at my steel supplier both diameter and cost.
You could get however little or much you wanted.

Daryl
MN

Machinable ceramics such as Corning Macor®

http://ceramicproductsinc.com/macor.html

Yep, and if you compare like sizes (I used 3/4inch diameter for a baseline for comparing materials) its over $10 per inch

Bakelite or phenolic will work just fine. I also use the G10 boards at 0.125" thick. Very dense and heavy. I use the scraps for shims under heavy machinery and even as separators between the ground/concrete and wood pillars to stop water wicking up the wood.
Pierre

Yeah, and its pretty cheap too. At my comparison size its less than 62 cents per inch. Even cheaper if you repurpose mass produced phenolic products.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...erm=4580221844135631&utm_content=All Products

DuPont Corian offcuts from the kitchen fitters are non-conductive and harder than a quality chef's knife... cuttable with carbide tooling (kitchen fitters work them with routers)

Dave H (the other one)

DuPont Corian offcuts from the kitchen fitters are non-conductive and harder than a quality chef's knife... cuttable with carbide tooling (kitchen fitters work them with routers)

Dave H (the other one)
Dang-It! I know where one of the counter top companies is dumping their broken, miscuts, and drops too. Unfortunately all they seem to be installing right now is granite. I have a couple cool pieces of granite to play with in the shop now.

Pierre

Phenolic is a great material. Stable, machinable and can withstand compression. Just be careful when machining and avoid breathing the dust.

Paul.

Phenolic is a great material. Stable, machinable and can withstand compression. Just be careful when machining and avoid breathing the dust.

Paul.
That's probably good advice for anything. Avoid breathing the dust.

Its used for making gears, bushing, and rollers so it should be able to handle basic oils. I guess I'll find out. Can't speak for the SC520 with distilled water for my flood coolant, but I can drop Master Chemical an email and find out. They are usually pretty responsive. The thing is if more than cursory crap gets in a height setter it has to be taken apart, cleaned, and readjusted anyway as it will gum up.

These are not to be permanently mounted for fully automated tool changes. In fact if I was setup for fully automated tool changes I would not need them at all. Just enter all the tool heights in the tool table.

My first car, a 1950 Chevrolet, had a phenolic timing gear that ran in oil. My Harrison M300 has a phenolic gear in the headstock gear train for feeds & threads.

Back