Attachments

• Victor-Precsion-High-Speed-Lathe-General-Brochure.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Those cleats will solve the bending issue (if there was one.) Great idea to test with a car!
Robert

If the floor is not perfectly flat you can expect the load to come off a skate. If you have no means to retain the skate it may slide out from under the machine inviting the machine to tip over. Drill a hole in the top center of each skate. Drop a bolt through the anchor bolt hole in the lathe and through the hole in the skate.

Lathes tend to be top heavy so you want to avoid tipping.

When I needed to reposition my 16 x 40 Nardini I used a Harbor Freight 120 volt winch. I anchored the winch to the floor, then used it to drag the lathe across the floor. I had to move the winch a couple times. I drilled the holes for my wedge anchrs completely through the floor. When I finished using a set of anchors I just drove them flush with the concrete.

Sorry to show up late to the party.
I would think that even if the machine weights 4000lbs all of the weight is not on one pair of skates. So lets say I use a pair of these on the heavy end and a pallet jack on the other(for steering) it should be OK. The other thing I was trying to solve is 4 bearings per skate vs 8, you should have less rolling resistance with 4 vs 8. I am trying to build a set just like yours and I was thinking of using 4 bearing per skate like you, maybe put some plastic matting on top or a piece of wood to stop slip. That would be only 250lbs per bearing. I think I could live with that. I think I will use steel though(because thats all I have) and maybe a piece of 4x4 wood wider than the base of the lathe so I can get more stability. Then I can bolt the lathe to the 4x4.

I hope I am not infringing on you copyrights and thanks for posting pics!

Sorry to show up late to the party.
I would think that even if the machine weights 4000lbs all of the weight is not on one pair of skates. So lets say I use a pair of these on the heavy end and a pallet jack on the other(for steering) it should be OK. The other thing I was trying to solve is 4 bearings per skate vs 8, you should have less rolling resistance with 4 vs 8. I am trying to build a set just like yours and I was thinking of using 4 bearing per skate like you, maybe put some plastic matting on top or a piece of wood to stop slip. That would be only 250lbs per bearing. I think I could live with that. I think I will use steel though(because thats all I have) and maybe a piece of 4x4 wood wider than the base of the lathe so I can get more stability. Then I can bolt the lathe to the 4x4.

I hope I am not infringing on you copyrights and thanks for posting pics!
The load per bearing is very low, that’s why this even works!
I like the idea of putting material on the top to retard slippage.
I considered knurling the deck on the shaper , but that’s as far as it got.
I considered drilling and tapping holes to add places to put other cleats on the deck

Back