Machinery's Handbook

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Good book to have for a newb? Are there better/more important ones to acquire first?

I like the older machine handbooks which can be picked up quite cheaply - the modern ones removed a lot of information I find useful for home/hobby/manual type operations. Most of the information on forging for example is not in the latest revisions. The older information is more in keeping with the age of the machines I use.

Southbends 'how to run a lathe' is also a great beginner reference

It is the definitive reference book. I like the .pdf version on my PC. Quick to search, print the page I need and take down to the shop.

Yes. Just buy one. Very few of us buy a new copy. It's like the old Rubber Bible (the CRC Handbook of Chemistry & Physics): one to a customer, one purchase per lifetime. Older versions are less "cultivated" -ie, the good stuff thrown out by some (non machinist) idiot- so a used copy will do fine.

I have recently seen some used ones at my local used tool places for around $10-$15.
Check any used book stores too.

I also prefer the old ones, I like the forging info and (currently) have no use for cnc/g-codes......

-brino

When you say "old editions" how old are you thinking? 20th edition? 25th? 26th?

I was fortunate enough to get an 11th edition from a member here. It has a lot of good information, especially for someone like me who uses only manual machines.

Mike

Back