Machines On Vacation... What Are They?

Eddyde

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi All,
I just returned from a trip to Europe, of course I managed to take pictures of some mechanical devices along the way... Lets see who can guess what they are, grand prize if you can guess all three! DSCN1693.jpgDSCN1696.jpg
#1. This one was relocated from its original location and on display in the village square.
IMG_9900.jpg IMG_9901.jpg
#2. This one is in its original location and apparently still works, although no longer used.
DSCN1884.jpg
#3. This one is a reproduction in the location of the original.

Have Fun!

Okay, you asked for it. You said have fun! :grin:

#1 is the undercarriage for a Flintstone chariot with limited slip differential.

#2 is a medieval helicopter, missing it rotors.

#3 is a 16th century multilevel subway turnstile. The bucket a subway token receptacle. They hadn't yet perfected the subway concept back then, hence it was built above ground.

Tom

1st sand muller
2nd grinding wheel with water trough
3rd unknown

Nope, but a good try.
Hint on #2. The "wheel" looking part is a metal cover.

Okay, you asked for it. You said have fun! :grin:

#1 is the undercarriage for a Flintstone chariot with limited slip differential.

#2 is a medieval helicopter, missing it rotors.

#3 is a 16th century multilevel subway turnstile. The bucket a subway token receptacle. They hadn't yet perfected the subway concept back then, hence it was built above ground.

Tom

Ha Ha, try again.

Is #2 a sluice gate? #3 a device for lifting a portcullis. Mike

#2 is obviously a telescope mount. It can be turned to track objects by hamsters running in the metal box. The number of hamsters controls the slew rate.
Robert

#1 A mill/grind stone of some sort. Looks elaborate so I'm going to guess military and say for grinding gun powder.
#2 I'm thinking a chain bucket line going down into a well, The 'T' piece would of had arms and been horse or ox driven.
#3 Some sort of elevator. 8 man-power (so about 2 hp) with counter weights.

#2 looks like an undershot water wheel..no clue what for though
The post holding the shaft vertical does not seem strong enough to do any real work, so
OK ... could it be used to measure the amount of water passing thru an irrigation channel ?

Back