Machining Full-hard Hss

I have often used carbide(the cheap Chinese brazed on type) to turn hard steel,HSS or otherwise. Of course,carbide was not made for that purpose,but you can get away with doing it.

I haven't tried using carbide for extended cuts on hard steels. Sooner or later,it will fail.

MAN! Re: The video on friction drilling . That guy is NOT A CHOICE MACHINIST!!! Too bad ANYONE can post videos out there.
It's called Flow Drilling, not uncommon in large scale manufacturing and takes a good deal of power. Developed by this German company I believe, used for threaded holes in thin walled sections mostly

There is also a new type of welding wherein a fast turning tool is passed between 2 sheets of aluminum. It melts the edges of the sheets and stirs them together. I think this may still be in the experimental stages.

It's not that I thought the processes attempted in the video were not valid. They were just poor attempts. And,trying to weld copper with friction was just not viable. At least,not the way he was attempting to do it.

There is also a new type of welding wherein a fast turning tool is passed between 2 sheets of aluminum. It melts the edges of the sheets and stirs them together. I think this may still be in the experimental stages.

It's not that I thought the processes attempted in the video were not valid. They were just poor attempts. And,trying to weld copper with friction was just not viable. At least,not the way he was attempting to do it.
Friction stir welding has been around for a while and is in regular use. SpaceX uses it to weld the lithium-aluminum alloy they use in their rockets.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction_stir_welding

Friction Stir Welding, fascinating, first saw it about 8-10 years ago, like many new technologies that begin in the Aerospace/Defense/Research/Auto manufacturing industries they will eventually become commonplace on a small scale. The near future looks very interesting indeed!

Is there a Gas coming down thru? That's a cool video.

It's called Flow Drilling, not uncommon in large scale manufacturing and takes a good deal of power. Developed by this German company I believe, used for threaded holes in thin walled sections mostly

I had to turn down the shank on a 3/4" drill to 5/8 to fit my chuck last night, it destroyed 5 of my cheap Chinese made brazed carbides before I was done.
No great loss as I got them free and they did the job.
But that was the hardest turning and loudest screeching I have ever done.
The chips coming off it were a kind of Blue, almost Turquoise in color.
Dogs were going crazy barking and whining.
Wife was too. (she was Whining that is, no barking) LOL

If a wife starts barking,time to find a more attractive wife!!!!:):):)

Yes,now I think of it,it was a good while ago my neighbor at NASA told me about their experiments with friction welding that he was doing.

The older I get,the more time has passed without me remembering when I heard something!!

I made a set of headspace gages for a 30m1 carbine out of dowel pins using carbide tools in the lathe. the carbide tools turned the dowel pins ok wasn't easy but got it done!

Back