Make Belt for SB9 Lathe

ShagDog

Registered
Registered
I recently acquired another SB9a, with a flat belt drive (other 9a has v belt pulleys). I want to replace the flat belt with another leather belt. With the lathe came a piece of leather the correct length for the pulleys, but not the correct width. The width is 1.5" and I want to make it almost 1". It is approximately .1875" thick. 2 questions.

1. What is the best tool to cut the along the length of the belt?

2. What would be a good substitute for the gut material used to stitch it together, in case I have difficulty locating some?

If it were me, I would not use the leather belt, but find a Poly Vee belt the correct length and width and install it with the Vees on the outside; unlike leather, these belts do not stretch, sure you have to do some disassembly to install it, but that is a one time task. I did one on a 9" SB that I since sold, I think they would pull more than a leather belt without slipping or stretching. That said, there is a belt cutting tool that has a cutting knife and a graduated slide and a fence and a handle to pull it along the belt. If I was using leather, I would likely taper the ends and glue it endless, this avoids the annoying clicking of using metal lacing, rather than using the gut lacing, they also used soft brass wire for lacing back in the day.

There is someone on ebay who sells replacement belts that are pre skived along with the cements to seal it up in place.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Headstock is disassembled so that is not an issue. I went to a couple auto part stores looking for a serpentine belt; none would fit.
With the poly v belt you reference, is that just a regular v belt that you run inside out? Do they make them wide enough? Thanks.

Use one of these belts (from McMaster-Carr):

Flat Belting​

6075k16p1-d03b-digital@halfx_636875513626259830.png

Weld the ends of this belting together for a firm hold. Resistant to chemicals and abrasion, it is often used for light to medium duty power transmission. To weld ends, use a welding kit.
Wd.Thick.For Min.
Pulley Dia.
MaterialColor Per
Ft.
3/8"0.055"3/8"Polyurethane RubberOrange6075K11$2.42
1/2"0.062"1/2"Polyurethane RubberOrange6075K123.00
5/8"0.125"1"Polyurethane RubberOrange6075K135.00
3/4"0.078"5/8"Polyurethane RubberOrange6075K143.87
1"0.09"3/4"Polyurethane RubberOrange6075K155.29
1 1/4"0.09"3/4"Polyurethane RubberOrange6075K166.42
1 1/2"0.09"3/4"Polyurethane RubberOrange6075K178.13
1 3/4"0.062"1/2"Polyurethane RubberOrange6075K187.24
2"0.062"1/2"Polyurethane RubberOrange6075K197.87

Gates and Bando offer serpentine belts in a wide range of sizes- you may have to order it
available on Amazon and online auto stores

I think I am going to try the leather belt since I already have the material that needs to be worked. Nothing to lose. I do have the South Bend book (How to Run a Lathe) which nicely shows the stitch pattern. There is also a good You Tube video showing it. I'll experiment with cutting tomorrow. I'll also figure out what to use to stitch it. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Headstock is disassembled so that is not an issue. I went to a couple auto part stores looking for a serpentine belt; none would fit.
With the poly v belt you reference, is that just a regular v belt that you run inside out? Do they make them wide enough? Thanks.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1644930053...gUFAtcRQhe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

There are options even wider than the 1" or 1.25" on my heavy 10 (I only used a 1.25" belt). You just need to know how long when you order. He does have a website I ordered through, but it is completely escaping me right now.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I use one of these on my SB9, works perfectly, is easy to install without disassembly, and looks right.

Aaron, I have one of those for my Junior 9. Works fine. Interestingly, it will also fit the lathe which is the topic of this discussion.
But, I am going to try to make a leather one with the material I have.

Back