Making any sized gear with just a slitting saw....

Thanks! Been watching his videos. Some really interesting things.

For the amount of time math involved , I'll buy the correct cutter.
I think this was just an exercise on what can be done, but serves no practical purpose

There is a software program called Gearotic that can create the gcode needed to cut almost any straight gear using a slitting saw. I've used it several times over the past few years and it works rather well. Written by Art Fenerty who wrote the Mach 3 CNC controller.

The video on making his own gear hobbing machine was interesting. I could see that being quite useful, especially as you could generalize it just a bit to have a digitally controlled dividing head.

Andy is incredible with his machines for sure - especially that he can code in assembly - that is a magic all of its own!

Andy is incredible with his machines for sure - especially that he can code in assembly - that is a magic all of its own!

I wrote a bit of python to generate gcode so you can cut gears with a straight flute V-bit cutter and a 4th axis. I think you could also do helical gears though I have not tried yet. Andy helped me figure out how to calculate the flat width which was initially a problem.

Back